Bio Load ?

Marke86

Coral Junkie
I just bought a small yellow tang!

With 2 ocelaris and one small yellow tang is this too much for a 30 gallon tank? I think im at my limit for sure. But Im hoping if I dont over feed this will be fine?

thanx
Marke

you will have to get a bigger tank. yellow tangs need at least a 75 when they get bigger. i think you will be pushing it in time as the tang gets bigger.

Both the 50 and 75 are pushing it. I made the mistake of buying a yellow tang for my 80. He is still happy but as he grows, i know he will eventually stress & die. So a 30 gal is an absolute no for yellow tangs. They need at lest a 6 ft long tank.

Ok ok well heres my solution I get a 55 gallon tank? thats as big as I can go I think I have enough lighting. I have a 130 pcv which is 2.4 watts per gallon is that sufficent?

Like we said, 50-75 is pushing it. I supopsed until the fish grows, but by then you will not want to get rd of him. Do it now while you're still not attached.

They lights are fine for fish only but for corals, you will need at least double that and that.

I agree that you need a bigger tank for your fish but i totally disagree about needing a 6' long tank for a yellow tang ... i have a 120G and it's only 4' long and all 3 of my tangs are doing great!

Most of the expert say that a 75 gallon 4 foot long tank is the BARE minimum for any tang and that is still cramped. If you have room for a 55 then you should have room for anything in the 4ft length correct? If thats the case you have a lot more options than the 55. You could upgrade and either use the 30 for a qt or a sump, and you could use the PC for actinic supplemental lighting if you went for Metal Halide lighting which would be great for a 75 90 or 120 four foot long tank.

Pugnashish Yellow Tangs! Ugh, they are bitchie and discontent in large tanks and ussually sicken pretty quickly in small tanks. They really are best only in very large tanks, I would consider them more as a public display tank fish for no smaller than 8 foot tanks. Preferably even much larger, as in public aquaria tanks of tens of thousands of gallons.

The tang police have spoken.Mark,you made the right decision,the humane decision.

tangpolice.jpg

Back