Bio Pellets

I use them, I use the new vertex ones in a phosban reactor. Nitrate and Phosphate are 0 so something's working.
What ends up happening when you first use them is that you'll get a lot of hair algae but it'll disappear within a week or two. Reason being it's drawing out a lot of the phosphate that's in the rock, so I've been told. You want to run a skimmer as well.

I've got a 55gal and i've used maybe 125ml, which is 1/4 of the bag, the skimmer should be fine, you just want something to help get rid of some of the bacteria that it's producing since that's essentially what they're designed to do.
There are a ton of people in Calgary that are using them, seems like the big thing here and they've all had amazing results.

I was just reading it says to use 500ml per 100 gallons of net volume so I'm probably a little on the low side but my system seems to be handling it just fine since I don't have nitrate or phosphate. I also just use a TLF 150 phosban reactor.
What kind of beads are you getting, this is what I'm using. Vertex Pro-Bio Pellets - 500ml

I'm not sold on them yet. Seems that many of the 'algae outbreak' reports have been from people who've had them for several months or more. Bought an SMR1 reactor and some warner biopellets to try out, but I'm thinking of selling them now (new in box) after reading about large algae outbreaks with long term owners.

It's the reason why I finally went with an algae scrubber. It's only been two weeks, but everything is looking happier and healthier already.

Back