biocube/ aquarium question

reefpanda

Reefing newb
so i've had my aquarium for a little more then a year
and i have to admit i didnt take the berst care of it. it had a really bad blue-green algae problem. so i had enough one day. i took out all the rooms and washed them under tap water ( i know its a bad idea but i was desprete and sick of it). then i took out the sand and cooked it in the oven to kill the algae and any other harmful thing living in it causei had a bad bristle worm problem. I changed all the water and made new salt water. i put the rocks and the sand in and waited until morning for the water. i have no corals or fish. Just hermit carbs and snails and a tiger cowrie. so when i added everything i did a water test. everything was fine except my pH was a little low so i added a pH buffer which brings the pH to 8.3. at first it was clear and then it started getting murky white and then the bottom half turned lite green/yellowish. i read the directs on the back of the buffer and saw that it said it should clrear up in 15 20 minutes. so i waited and it just got worse. it said that the calcium and magnesium might be off balance and to check that. so this morning i went to the local petstore which also speacializes in saltwater fish. i asked the expert in that department and he said its normal it shoul dclear up in a couple of days. so i bought a protien skimmer and some live rocks to help the filtering. my questions are: what is going on with my tank and is it going to get better or worse? and, should i add the protien skimmer in the tank cause there are no fish in there producing waste and i have crabs and snails doing their job in the tank so would it be ok to add it even if there is very little organic waste being produced.

thank you for anything you can give me

Well.Since you cooked the sand and killed all the little bugs and worms that live in it,I wouldnt be surprised to see one hell of an ammonia spike.
Algae dont grow because of whats in the sand.It feeds off the nutrients in the water.Good maintence habits go along way.Water changes help remove the excess nutrients.
And the low PH could be from the dead stuff in the sand.Watch it close for a couple of weeks.Keep a check on ammonia,nitrites,and nitrates.
BTW
Bristle worms are good to have.They are probably THE best member of your clean up crew.

i know bristle worms are good
but i had way toooo many
i think they killed off one of my clams
i keep on cleaning the filter
ill check the amonia agian tonight
just wondering, how long do you think i should wait before i start adding fish? and corals?

How much live rock do you have?
I'd give it at least a couple of weeks,to see if going to cycle.Which I'm betting it will do.
After a couple of week,IF you have no ammonia or nitrites showing up,then I'd think it would be safe to add a fish.I'd go a month,month and half before I added any corals.

i have a lot of living rock
i actually bought some more "livelier" rock because like i said before i took out the rocks infested with the algae and scrubed it under tap water
and i put the rock frags in the back of the biocube where the bio balls cause i found out the rocks work as a filter?
is there an explaination for the color of the water
not the white coloring but the lite green color

i would ditch the sand and get new. the reason that you had an infestation of worm is because they had an abundance of food. and the worms did not kill the clam it was prob already dying. and before you add anything test the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

alrighty
i checked the nitrates and amonia and it was fine but ill do another test soon

also for the sand
is itok if i buy a new bag and leave the old sand in as well
cause it is going ot be a pain to take out all the rocks and then all the sand and all the water

you put carbon in a mesh bag and put it in the back of your biocube in a high flow area it will help to clear up and clean the water

I didnt realize you'd rinsed some live rock under tap water.
You'd be better off to put the rock you rinsed in a bucket and sit it out side for a while.It's going to smell like death warmed over in a few days.
The water color could be coming from a bacteria bloom.

Back