Biocube HQI fan mod

nsousa

Reefing newb
Hey guys,
this is a mod that I added to my biocube to help with air flow in the back chambers and hopefully help a bit with temps because of the refugium light. my tank would usually run 80-80.5 degrees with the MH light on, since the mod my tank runs at 78.4 with lights on and 77.3 when its running the refugium lights, I have the coralife light that mounts on the back of the biocube it does create a bit of heat, it uses 2 t5 bulbs. This mod only cost about $20 bucks so its well worth the money.
If you have any question please ask

fanmod1.jpg
tools and materials needed
fanmod2.jpg
fan I bought for 6.99
fanmod3.jpg
12v female plug 2.99 strip the wire about 1/4''
fanmod5.jpg
picture of fan held above cover
fanmod7.jpg
cut factory plug and strip the black and red wire on the fan
fanmod8.jpg
twist the wires together, remember red is usually marked with a strip on the wire and black is black with no markings on it.
fanmod10.jpg
cut a small piece of electrical tape and wrap each wire.
fan11.jpg
after taping the wires pull forward the wraping thats on the wires including the small piece of heat shrink (if your brings one)
fan12.jpg
with a lighter slowly heat the heat shrink and it will hold the wraping down ( becareful not to apply to much heat or you will melt the plastic wrap)
fan13.jpg
this is some double sided tape that I opted to use instead of the glue gun. this is double sided tape from my other hobby (rc racing) that I know will hold the fan with ease ( if you dont have any home depot sell 3m which is pretty good or you can use the glue gun)
fan15.jpg
after tracing the double sided tape , cut it with hobby knife or scissor.
fan16.jpg
cut 4 pieces identical to each other.
fan18.jpg
peel the paper off the double sided tape stick to each corner of the fan ( the trick to a good bond is using some rubbing alcohol to clean the surface before applying)
fan20.jpg
use some rubbing alcohol clean the inside of the cover were the fan will be mounted
fan21.jpg
peel off the paper from the 4 corners of the fan
fan22.jpg
slowly place the fan inside the cover above the grill openings and press down firmly on all 4 corners (make sure there was a good bond between the fan and the cover)
fan23.jpg
now its time to plug the fan to your 12v transformer plug 8.99
fan24.jpg
if its all done correctly the fan will work:D
fan25.jpg
now its time to carry it over to your biocube
fan26.jpg
plug it in and enjoy.

Hopefully this mod will help you as much as it helped me
if you have any questions please feel free to ask

Great fan mod ! I'm in the process of modifying my bio cube using your fan mod how ever I am having difficulty locating the parts for the fan mod any suggestions or ideas were to buy the parts ?

Back