Biocube vs Nano cube

Going over the specs on both system.I believe the JBJ Nanocube is the better choices.More options with lighting(CF,HQI or LED) and a better filter system setup for refugium and skimmer.

Hi hingreef,

I had spent a long time making my aquarium selection, as I was new to the reef tank and wanted to have something that I could handle, and not break the bank. I decided on the JBJ 28G Nanocube CF.

Initially I was thrilled. I had problems with the pumps (they replaced under warranty). Pumps still noisy, but very few alternatives. The design and look, however is pretty cool. My deciding factor was the 105W CF lighting, almost 4w/gallon!

I living to regret that decision. Note this, and it's important. JBJ offers only a 6 month warranty on the tank. I believe Oceanic offers a full year. So my tank is up and running one full year, and I had just purchased a replacement bulb ($37 - $49, depending on where you shop). I came home one day to the smell of sulfur and electrical. The ballast fried on the tank. It was just a little over year old, but running just under a year. The replacement ballast was $70!! The manual boasts " All models include a polished mirror reflector with (1) 105 Watt Compact Fluorescent system that produces the highest lumen output for the size. Our daylight lighting system utilizes a UL Recognized ballast for long-term performance and reliability."

LOL, I guess 1 year is long-term and reliable. After numerous emails and phone calls, I was awarded a 15% discount, but the head of customer service does not answer any of my emails. I know the warranty is up, but I think they should recognize a faulty component and at least address it. At least respond. OK no more on that!

On bulb replacement. There are no less than 24 screws to remove to replace the bulb (or ballast!). Before I even put a screwdriver to the hood, I noticed that there were stress cracks on half of the holes. I had to super glue two of them or moisture would get inside the seal. I will discard this hood and go with a glass top and Tek light canopy when the lid gives out.

MY LFS says that Oceanic replaced ballasts after the warranty. I personally, had a Corallife fixture ballast replaced free of charge no questions asked on a 2 year old lamp.

Comparisons:

Nano:
105W CF
6mo warranty
28g

Bio:
72W CF
12 mo waranty
29g

Below is my first link when I just bought. I don't use a skimmer, I change water weekly (3 - 5 gallons), don't use any of the filter media except the filter sponge and clean that weekly. Always 0ppm nitrates and ammonia.

Your choice and good luck! Both tanks look good. I won't buy a JBJ product again though. Maybe more than you wanted to hear!
Regards,
David

https://www.livingreefs.com/jbj-28-gallon-nano-cube-cf-t21869.html

The Red Sea Max all in one systems seem to be more popular than the two of those. I have a BioCube myself (not currently in use), and the lights are weak.

Yes Biff, that's the one I wanted, the RedSea Max 34, just couldn't afford the $5 or 6 bill price tag. But, as we find out, you get what you pay for! I will never skimp again! lol

My suggestion would be to find one used at a good price. Using the money you save add to your lighting and or skimmer. I have a 24 JBJ, the stock hood is gone and I am running an Aquatic Life 24" CF over it. Everything in my tank is doing wonderful. Next step for me is to throw a Tunze 9005 in the middle chamber for skimming and it is done. So far, my only costs associated with this tank have been 2 baby clowns for my son (20.00), and another Koralia Nano powerhead. Most the coral in it was taken from my 120.

Even with no skimmer my water tests came out like this today:

Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 460
KH 9.0
Mag 1410

I am currently still running the filter sponges, and ceramic in the middle chamber.

The new Biocobe 29 HQI was left out of this discussion. I have the old BC 29 and the gazillion mods and blogs about it were all incorporated into the new model. It a good deal.

Thank you all for your responses! So many mistakes can be made by just buying without researching! :) I love this forum/website! It has been so helpful!!

Back