bioload

Wait...you want to add a tang to your already overstocked 53 gallon tank? Stop asking for advice if you don't want to listen to it...

Danny, if you have a 53 gallon you CANNOT have a tang. I have seen the smallest tangs get stressed out and die in these tanks.

How is your setup different to anyone else? mine is 60gallon and I know it wont work. There is only one person I know who has successfully overstocked his tank and he works so hard, the tank is his life and has been doing this for a really long time!

FYI, dont ask if you have to omany fish, or what your bioload is if you dont want our opinions. You should have 5 fish in your tank or buy a bigger tank, if you want to overstock a little bit, go for it, but you have to pick fish which are not as territorial and will not kill each other and also, you have to be so on top of the water changes that you know ever slight change in your tank. I dont thin your ready for that. Im not even ready, neither are the experienced members like biff and bl1, or even Yote and ccCapt who have some of the best tanks I have seen.

It annoys me a lot, because it is our responsibility to keep our hobby sustainable. The more we buy tank raised fish/corals, and the less demands we place, the better the chance we have of avoiding laws that are passed which may severely curtail the availability of fish we can get.

On top of that, it's a LIVING CREATURE, and as an owner, it's your moral responsibility to take care of it properly. Just like you shouldn't keep a dog in a cage all day, don't overstock your fish or put them in tanks way too small.

We're not trying to flame you, but it's frustrating seeing someone ask for advice, hoping to hear what they want, then spurn the advice when it's not what they want (and often what they knew ALREADY to be true).

But, there's always reef central, I'm sure people there will be able to tell you how to overstock the tank.

Danny--- please do NOT PUT THESE FISH back in the wild! You may introduce diseases into the wild. And yes, you are severely overstocked. I have a 6' long tank -- I only have 10 fish in there. Plus how old is your tank? If it's really only 5 months, you put in too many fish too fast. You need to take a breather, sell/give away some of your fish to the lfs or craigslist, and don't have more than 5 fish in there. You can maybe get away with 6, but keep in mind territorial needs and water changes.

Chute & josh, in Danny's defense, it was Nikkimei who was asking what tank size you need for a tang :)

Alex, reef central isn't bad per se. It's huge, which means there are a ton of people and a lot of the advice is unqualified and/or biased. I also don't like all the restrictions imposed by the mods - I'll post there if I need a wide range of opinions, and I like to browse their forums, because they DO certainly have some good stuff there. It's just too big for me.

Wonton - he said, "blennies i caught and so was the wrasse fish ...ill keep the clown and chromis and maybe get a tang or somethin down the track"

And Danny, I just want to stress right now that we're not trying to gang up on you. We're trying to help you from mistakes WE have all learned from!

Wonton - he said, "blennies i caught and so was the wrasse fish ...ill keep the clown and chromis and maybe get a tang or somethin down the track"

LOL sorry, chute...i missed that!! :D My bad! It's your super honed skillz of pure military eye for details!

hahaha, its easy to miss sometimes when its a small post and me and chute are writing big things :D

But please listen to us, if you dont and think your setup is sooo superior to everything we are doing, go for it. But you wont have much luck being new to this hobby

I don't get why you're so upset....you asked how many fish, we gave you advice on an ideal number to keep your water parameters ideal. If you already had reefers near you to tell you what you want to hear, why did you post on here?

Look. You have a plethora of knowledgeable people here at your fingertips. I know I've asked for advice, and heard things I did not want to hear but I don't get bent up over it because hey, I did ask for it. You got early responses from Waddi and Josh, then I see you got upset when it was suggested that tangs are not good for you tank.

You said we don't know your set up, but your profile clearly shows your tank is not a good tang setup. If you're gonna get upset at the helpful people here, fine. But either leave it alone, or tell us why you are upset...but don't just say "do any of u realize that i havent posted on here cause its a waste of time " like a kid.

Now. Back to your original question, 5 or 6 fish, try to stay away from tangs, and do NOT return your wild-caught fish back to the wild.

Back