bioload

haha, I did just post that video on my FB! :D

but still, I only know one person who has overstocked their tank. They have a 5ft and have 33 fish. The difference is, when I spoke to him, he is doing carbon dosing, he doesnt break any of the rules on which fish should go together and he has zero nitrates, phosphates, ammonia and so forth. His tank also has thriving sps. So it can work, but he also gets 2 inches of skim everyday and is dosing twice a day along with always checking levels and basically living his tank. This is not easy.

Yes you may be able to do it bioload-wise but, do you really think that a 5' tank gives the fish enough space for all of them to be happy. Sounds like it would be a very crowded tank.

yea, I dont think its all about the tangs though brian, I think he has big schools of anthia, I do understand what you mean. I personally am not doing it, but he isnt killing the fish which is a good start. But, I also do not think they would be happy. There has to be something in there that would want more space.

When I wrote that I wasn't even considering tangs, 33 fish is just lot for a tank smaller than 200g (assuming it's smaller if it's a standard tank).

Yea, I agree, oh well, what can you do. He takes a lot of pride in his tank. I like mine full of corals and inverts and the occasional fish, only 4 in my 60g

This thread reminds me of another one...

https://www.livingreefs.com/overstock-fowlr-fot-t33862.html

:shock: Look what I found:

How to overstock FOWLR/FOT

Hmm... I came from HK. Even people lived like that. When I was little, lot of families only have a studio unit about 300-400 sq feet with 4-7 people living in it. Bunk bed next to bunk bed and some foldable beds. After finish the dinner, clean up the table, that's your study table. Bed time, fold away the table and lay out the foldable beds. That's live in HK. I totally wouldn't be surprised that HK people keep fish like that. Why would the fish have more living room than human. :)

Not trying to stir up any controversy, but I was thinking about this topic and thought about human psychology is quite interesting. Way back when when we all living in a tiny studio unit, I did not feel or think we were not happy because we had so little space. So do all my friend's family. We just kind of believe that that is life.

Now that we all have our own room, our own house for that matter. There is no way to go back to that life.

For the fish, once they see the ocean, no tanks can make them feel like home. But for tank bred, I think it would be much easier. Otherwise, tell that to the Chicken we eat everyday. They all live in a 12"x10" cell. :)

Last edited:
Not trying to stir up any controversy, but I was thinking about this topic and thought about human psychology is quite interesting. Way back when when we all living in a tiny studio unit, I did not feel or think we were not happy because we had so little space. So do all my friend's family. We just kind of believe that that is live.

Now that we all have our own room, our own house for that matter. There is no way to go back to that live.

For the fish, once they see the ocean, no tanks can make them feel like home. But for tank bred, I think it would be much easier. Otherwise, tell that to the Chicken we eat everyday. They all live in a 12"x10" cell. :)

Very, interesting... Fish and humans are quite different though...

And anyway, not all chickens are kept 12"x10" cages...

The reason I can't go back to living in a small apartment is frankly, I can't fit all my crap in there LOL!!!

Good point though, Wes...but another thing to think about is that just because they were tank bred and has never known better than a tank, doesn't mean they have no instinct to want to swim in a larger space. Ferrets that you see in homes now are all domesticated. They cannot be found in the wild, nor can they survive in the wild. Yet, they still display many instinctive behaviors -- like hiding whatever they can drag under couches, backing up to poop, playing dead when picked up by the scruff....all stuff necessary to survive in the wild...too bad they can't use it successfully LOL

Back