Biological Filtration Questions

Nedim

Reefing newb
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and in the process of converting my 46g bowfront to a saltwater tank. At my disposal I have; an emperor double biowheel hang-on filter, magnum canister filter, uv light sterilizer and power head to power the sterilizer. Now I've heard that bopwheels are bad for saltwater tanks beacause they produce high levels of nitrates. Is there any truth to that? I have also heard bad things about canister filters, whats the deal with them? Also, what exactly are the perks of a sump and is it necessary? I'm also not sure what RO/DI is, can someone please explain that to me? My tank is not yet filled with water, nor have I added any crushed coral to it yet. I plan on adding live rock, which I hear is good for cycling? Basically, I'm new to sw tanks, but have been keeping fw for about 6 years now and I would like information about what I need for a healthy setup.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to meeting everyone.

you should read the helpfull artics section on this site it helped me with alot of questions and im sure will help you the bio wheels do cause excess nitrates i cant answere the one about canister filters but my lfs (live fish store) uses one on there tank one perk about the sump is you can use it for a refugium and have a deep sand bed in it for nnr (natural nitrate reduction) ro/di is reverse osmosis and deionized water it extra purified so you dont have nitrates phosphates silice or any of the other bad stuff that will cause a bad algae outbreak and l/r (liver rock) is very good for your tank its a naturale food source and a filter but i do suggest you read for a while before starting it will be worth it in the long run to have a good idea of what your doing before you do it good luck and check out the helpfull articals

Thanks for the link. I have a quick question-

should I turn off my filters/sterilizer during the time I mix the salt?

How are you mixing the salt? This should be done outside the tank with fresh RO/DI water and then the mixed water added to the tank.

I'm probably a little confused, but you're asking about filling your tank with saltwater for the first time? If your tank is empty right now, than you can mix the salt and the water in the tank. If you don't have any water in there yet, you won't need to have the filters or sterilizers running. Plus it will be super cloudy for a while after you first add water, especially if you have a lot of sand or crushed coral on the bottom.

After that, when you have to mix up water to do water changes it should be done in a bucket outside of the main tank, then added to the main tank like Squibley said.

Earlier today, I filled the tank and mixed 20 cups of Instant Ocean into the water. I mixed it pretty well. I even set up two air pumps connected to a small airstone and a larger bubble wall. I believe this will help oxygenate that tank and dissolve the salt. The water was pretty murky, but it cleared up considerably. I got a small green clown goby to help cycle the tank and I'm going to take some readings of the water parameters soon. I also started a daily journal log. In it Im writing down everything I did to the tank, so that if I have a problem later on, it should be easier to diagnose. I think Im doing everything correctly. I've been reading TONS of articles. I have another question though-how does the average hobbiest power their protein skimmer? I heard that some of the higher-end skimmers require costly air pumps.

Anyways, thanks for all the help, Ill have pics up in a bit of my step by step progress, I just want to make sure i havent overlooked anything.

Bifferwine said:
I'm probably a little confused, but you're asking about filling your tank with saltwater for the first time? If your tank is empty right now, than you can mix the salt and the water in the tank. If you don't have any water in there yet, you won't need to have the filters or sterilizers running. Plus it will be super cloudy for a while after you first add water, especially if you have a lot of sand or crushed coral on the bottom.

After that, when you have to mix up water to do water changes it should be done in a bucket outside of the main tank, then added to the main tank like Squibley said.

Yep, it was for the first time. BTW, when I do my first water change and have to "externally" mix the salt, how do I determine what the salinity has to be? Do I just mix the salt until it reaches the same salinity as my tank and then just pour it in?

Sorry Im asking so many questions, but I have another one.Will the calcium deposits from the crushed coral eventually dissipate(assuming it is some form of calcium)? Is there anything I can do afer the tank has cycled to help clear the water?

use a hydrometer or refracto meter it should read 1.021 to 1.025 is ok higher end if your going to add corals

i had the same one and it always read 1.021 no mater what it sucked i havent baught a refactor yet so cant recommed my instan ocean has served me well though

Ive got another question- when can I start adding live rock to my tank? Its been a few days since I mixed the salt and I have airpumps hooked to airwalls that are running in my setup. I got a green clown goby for cycling. I tested the water and all the parameters are spot on.

Back