Biology Teacher, in need of advice

possumpal

Reefing newb
Hello. I am a biology teacher and I teach older students in Biology 2. We study every living thing, basically and my students are not all that interested in some of the so called "simpler" animals. Especially things that live in the ocean. I would love to have a reef tank, but I have only had freshwater fish before, and only very small set ups before. :question:

Any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the reef.You've come to right site for information.
Just post your questions and somebody will have the answer.

Hi and welcome! I'm a biologist myself (I have a BS and MS and am working on my PhD). You can have a pretty cool small set up, there are lots of nano tanks that have all of the equipment built in. Nanos can be a challenge to keep (there's not much room for mistakes in small systems) but would be perfect for a classroom if that's what you're looking to do.

Uhhh... ummm... Ok HI.

I tend to get nervous when talking to teachers, LOL J/K

You are with out a doubt in the right place for info, We ( most likely Bifferwine) will fight to answer your questions in a fast maner. LOL

Smaller systems tend to look Nicer, faster. but the small water amount tends to lead to problems a lil faster than in a Large tank. I suggest looking into a ALL IN ONE system , Red Sea Max (RSM ) has a Very nice all in one setup that has Everything you need to run a healthy reef,
Red Sea MAX | the first fully featured, plug-and-play reef aquarium

hello and welcome!!..i think too that having a reef tank will be very educational for the kids..good choice!!..theres a section of very usefull info for begginers..have fun!!!

I also have a biology/chemistry degree. Depending on where you live, maybe you could take a field trip to an aquarium. For instance, I belong to The Dallas World Aquarium, and that would be the best place ever for a field trip.

The sky is the limit on what you can learn about with a tank, and maybe inspire some students to become marine biologists.

Keep in touch!!
Matti

welcome to living reefs. If you plan on setting up a tank for teaching, I would recomend something a little larger than a nano. that way you can build a large refugium for viewing. let that baby mature and get full of pods, bristleworms, feather dusters, etc. that's bound to get their attention for the "smaller" things that live in the ocean.

Hello, welcome. I have notice that there are a lot of educated people into reefs on this forum. I am also a teacher. I have a BS in Exceptional Student Education, An MBA (Master in Business Administration), a Master in Education Leadership and I am currently working on my Doctorate (Ed.d).

i beg to differ matti. i think that the georgia aquarium is the best place to go for a field trip. it is the biggest. plus i know bernie marcus. the guy who owns it

Check with your local LFS's. At least up here we have been known to give complete tank setups with a few fish to primary education institutions, and even make guest appearances to talk to students when it is requested. I would think Fairbanks, Alaska is not the only city providing such gifts to local teachers classrooms. The stores benefit greatly when children convince their parents they want an aquarium and tell them which store provided a tank to their class room or school.

welcome to living reefs. If you plan on setting up a tank for teaching, I would recomend something a little larger than a nano. that way you can build a large refugium for viewing. let that baby mature and get full of pods, bristleworms, feather dusters, etc. that's bound to get their attention for the "smaller" things that live in the ocean.

Hi and thanks. I would like to set up something for teaching, but so many people have told me that it is very expensive and hard to maintain a healthy tank. I don't want a tank with just fish in it. In fact, I really don't care if I have fish (unless they are necessary for a healthy tank)... Kids know what fish are... they don't know what bristleworms and feather dusters are. (Shoot, they don't even think of housework when you say feather duster, much less of a living creature.... :D)

Can you give me an idea of the cost and what kind of maintenance you do on your own tank? Thanks so much, I appreciate all the replies...

Jessica

Unfortunatly, I live in a very, very small town.... the local "fish shop" is the local pet store, and I wouldn't spend money there if my life depended on it.... any other suggestions? Can you recommend a place I might contact via email or the phone with this kind of inquiry?

Thanks!!

Just do not look in catalogs with teaching supplies or scientific equipment for universities the charge 4 to 5 times as much as a reputable fish store. I would contact some of the large or intermediate sized pet stores. I am sure some place like Marine Depot at marinedepot.com or Drs. Foster and Smith at drsfostersmith.com would offer you very good prices on such a school display tank as long as the school would verify that you are employed by them as a teacher. It is a great sells promotion for them and a complete right off. Even with a very small tank of 10 to 12 gallons you are looking at a minimum of 2 to 4 hundred dollars when considering minimal lighting filtration circulation and maintenance supplies. I would definitely consider the donation aspect. A large firm could send you everything needed from their inventory without you needing to go to several different sources.

It would also be a good idea to check around to see if there is a reef club in your area.If there is,check and see if any of their members would be willing to help.

Thanks... I am probably going to try to write a grant to the Science Council. They give grants to some teachers for up to $1000. I will try some of those places and see if they can help me get set up. Thanks for all your help.

I think Marine Depot has the most competitive prices, plus look under the education tab. I just read a great article today. You could get all the kids to subscribe to Marinedepot's website by going to: MarineDepot.com

I also agree with the grant writing part. Grant writing does take time, however. If I ever get enough American Airlines miles saved up I'd happily come set up your aquarium.

Each student could be responsible for testing for something like Ammonium, Nitrites, Nitrates, Phosphorus, Calcium, pH, etc. In my college biology days we had to spend half hours describing the behavior of certain animals, and drawing them! Your students likewise could do this, and maybe present to the class what they have learned by observation about fish behavior, how the nitrogen cycle works, the purpose of live rock in a salt water aquarium, and why a 2 degree increase in the oceans temperature is killing our coral. Coral is something else that would well be worth mentioning because of the tiny polyps that live within the hard structure of the coral.

Each kid could create a scientific notebood and be taught about recording observations properly. This could light a fire for future marine biolgists.

I wish you so well as you endeavor to follow your dream. I am happy to give you whatever I am not using. Just post a list; maybe you don't know all that you need--just thought of that. Let me know.

Take care, and have a relaxing Sunday, cordially,

Matti

Last edited:
Yes!! You have just described all that I wish for my students! I want the to learn, I want them to enjoy, and, most of all, I want them to take an interest in animal that they have never been exposed to before!

Are you a teacher? You have some great ideas!!

Yes, I kind of do need to know where to start and what I need. I read and read, but there is sssooooo much to take in! It is rather overwhelming... I would definitely get the class involved in caring for the tank. That would be great "real life" experience for them.

You have been such a great help. I really appreciate the great advice and help. Thanks so much!

Jessica

Depending on the tank size I would try to get fish that have different swimming motions/swimming routines. I know my clownfish swims around totally different than my Flame Angel does. Partially because of body shape, fin size, feeding needs, etc. It is quite interesting to watch the differences.

you could also have the students set up in groups and each group do a project on a different part of the set up like the skimmer, wet/dry filter, the power heads etc. and then present to the class the importance of each to the health of the tank and what would happen if that part were not to be there or if it failed in the tank.

Back