Bitten off more than I can chew

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
Welp the popping ahole has caused me to break down pretty much my whole tank. One rock at a time I have pulled them out trying to find him. I am down to my main reef and my goby is under there asleep so I am stuck now. I am waiting to hear the famous pop so I can determine if he is in one of the 3 QT buckets I have set up or if he is STILL in the main tank.

:frustrat:

I also tried the cold water dip on the one rocks that I know had one in it and nothing came out so its still in there! :12:

I am very annoyed right now.

Calgon take me away

I have a pistol in my tank, a big one! I got him to buddy up with my yellow watchman goby. I hear him pop sometimes, but hes never hurt anything in the tank. Why are you trying to hard to get rid of this pistol? Has he killed anything? Id say hes probably pretty harmless unless you just cant stand the popping.

on the contrarry! pistol's are only reef safe when they are small. when they get bigger witch they will, thet have the potential to crack glass with that claw, in fact I resently watched a show on them on Discovery Channel and that's how they kill there prey (mainly crustation's). that claw is so powerful that it actually perduce's a tiny bubble of light. when I found that out, I got rid of mine...

Yes my tank is next to my bed!!! I havent slept in a week. :grumble:

I dont want to hurt the shrimp and if it wasn't in my bedroom I really wouldn't care.

I am down to 4 rocks in my tank out of like 20 and its STILL popping I am so pissed right now.

on the contrarry! pistol's are only reef safe when they are small. when they get bigger witch they will, thet have the potential to crack glass with that claw, in fact I resently watched a show on them on Discovery Channel and that's how they kill there prey (mainly crustation's). that claw is so powerful that it actually perduce's a tiny bubble of light. when I found that out, I got rid of mine...

thats a myth just like a mantis shattering a tank to bits....The tank would have to be old as hell and the pistol would have to be the size of andre the giants hand and he would have to hit the glass in just the right spot....id be willing to bet any mantis would CRACK a tank beffore a pistol shrimp would.

We all seen the same show. The pistols "pop" is hotter than the sun too, but like i said IMO theres no freaking way.:Cheers:

I once took apart a whole tank to catch a dottyback and when all the rock was in buckets the dottyback wasn't in the tank!!?? I ran my hands thru the sand thinking he had buried himself but he was nowhere! I finally found him. He had hidden himself in a large conch shell that I had taken out and put in a bucket.

Many people have pistol shrimp in their reefs. Many people specifically buy them to pair up with fish. You would have to have a massive one to do any damage to glass. I'm not buying it.

Many people have pistol shrimp in their reefs. Many people specifically buy them to pair up with fish. You would have to have a massive one to do any damage to glass. I'm not buying it.

Ya, i could see a pistol in the ocean getting big enough, but the chances of that happening in our tanks and still being able to hide in the rock? I don't think so. They send out a shockwave that temporarily stuns/paralyzes a fish which they can then drag into their cave to kill/eat, but would have to be pretty big for that. Mantis shrimp on the other hand, use their actual claw to smash through shells.

I loved my pistols... i actually took mine out becuase we suspected I had a mantis, turned out to be 2 tiger pistols who I dubbed "Smith" and "Wesson" ;) They lived with my lion fish for a while and then the lion ate them one day :( So i got rid of the lion fish. lol. i would take the buckets and spread them throughout the house-one in each room so you can hear where exactly the popping is coming from.... also if he's super poppy right now he's probably just pissed off at you tearing apart his home! LOL

well I gotta think the DC has there fact's straight...

Sure, but they are talking about maximum capabilities of these animals in the wild. Which are nowhere near the size of the animals in our tanks.

54171916.christmas_island_bonefishing35.jpg

mantis.jpg

Mantis%20Shrimp.jpg

The 2 I already caught were like 1/2 of an inch! I could barely see them yet they pop pretty loud so I can imagine a huge one causing damage.

I just want to sleep.....oh....sweeet.....slleeeepppp

Well I did the cold water dip on the rocks in the bathroom accidentally killed a hitchhiker crab OOPS I didnt catch the shrimp though but I havent heard any pops in the bathroom for hours. I tried to save him but I might have killed it.

I have cold water in the fridge now I am about to do the remaining few rocks which sucks because they have all my corals on them.

If i do catch anything though I will be releasing it back into the ocean in the morning cause I am GOIN TO THE BEACH!

Last edited:
UPDATE! :bounce:

After months of all night popping and the set up of a new tank DOWNSTAIRS I decided to once again try to hunt down my dreaded Rockness Monster (AKA pistol shrimp). I was fairly certain of which rock he was in so I put it in a separate bucket when I did my water change and sure enough he gave himself away.

He was acclimated to the new tank and is now happily popping up a storm.

I am looking forward to a full night of SILENCE! :bowdown:

Woohoo!!! Congrats :D I love my pistol, although I never see him unless I look under the tank :) He pops only once or twice a night that I know of.

Back