Black Algae?

Skylar Oborny

Reefing newb
A couple days ago I noticed this small patch of darkness. At first I just assumed it was a shadow, but after looking closer at it, it seemed as if it was some sort of algae. Just curious if this is something I need to get out of my tank asap.

WP_20131115_003.jpg

i had something like that. turned out to something call chicken liver sponge. sort of a slimy redish brown color, kind of looks like a cross between cyano and black mold. Mine didn't turn out to be bad. Peeled off like a film. Looked pretty disgusting though

If its the same stuff I had, I just sucked off with a hose when i did a water change. It came right off. But mine was right out in the open. Looked yucky. If its bothering you , see if you can remove it. If its growing on its own and not something you put in there its more then likely not hurting anything

Another thing about leaving it alone, it is obviously growing because of it's perfect mix of micronutrients and if you remove it, those nutrients will probably cause it to go somewhere else. If it's not visually displeasing consider leaving it alone.

Back