Black and White Butterflies

kwsm

Reefing newb
I've read that there are two varieties of the Bannerfish, one being reef safe and the other not. Other than that I haven't found much in the way of telling them apart. Are they too similar to tell?

Reef safe obviously meaning that one type won't make lunch out of the corals, are crustaceans safe?

Anyone own one of the reef safe ones or know how to tell them apart?

None of those are the second variety.

Heniochus diphreutes is reef safe, Heniochus acuminatus is not reef safe.

Well I found one. And according to all the information I've found online, and according to what the LFS store says they have, it's the reef safe variety.

...so I bought it.

Impulse buys at the LFS are the worst on the wallet.

Hopefully, between me and the LFS, we correctly identified the species.

Well I found one. And according to all the information I've found online, and according to what the LFS store says they have, it's the reef safe variety.

...so I bought it.

Impulse buys at the LFS are the worst on the wallet.

Hopefully, between me and the LFS, we correctly identified the species.

... and the worst for our tanks. I have made many errors before too. Some have worked out and more than some have not. :death:

I hope it works out for you. :x:

Bannerfish,IMPO should be left in the ocean.
They just dont do good in our tanks.But good luck with yours and where are the pics?

When I saw them, I came home and read on them for quite a while and I don't think I ever once came across anything that said they don't do well in aquarium life o_O

In fact most sites say they're very hardy fish and even the ones that don't say that they put it at an "intermediate" level. Even Drs. lists them as Easy to Moderate depending on species.

He seems to have adjusted fairly well, he's eating well every time we feed the tank and zooms around with the foxface grazing a bit on the rocks.

The only word of caution I've found on them at all was about their diet. With their mouths being so small obviously care must be taken to ensure he gets what he needs. Also that they eat quite a bit and must be fed several times a day.

None of this seemed like something I was not able to provide.

So what makes you say that? Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Granted Moorish Idols ARE a type of bannerfish, and they certainly do not fare well in captivity...

Oh and I had a couple crappy pics on the ID forum when I was trying to determine a species, other than that, he moves too damn fast for my camera >_< I'll work on it!

Back