Black carpet on sand

coffeebean

youreamoron.com member #8
Help! I have this black carpet-like stuff growing on my sand. Asked my LFS guy about it and he said it was bacteria. He never said what it was, but that it liked less-than- normal oxygen. This makes a little more sense, as at his suggestion I filled up the tank to the very top and there's less of a drop for the water coming out of the filter. His only suggestion to get rid of it was to scoop it out and buy a water mover that attaches with a magnet to the glass (not a power head). Thanks for any help!:frustrat: coffeebean

Sounds like cyano-bacteria.
Give us the run down on your tank and parameters.
How much flow do you have,what type of filtration,livestock,lights,we need it all.:D

Wife was at the LFS to get water mover. Found example in one of their tanks. Saleswoman said what I have is "Red Slime"! Don't look red to me, but what do I know... She bought the stuff to kill it will let you know how it goes. Coffeebean

Yes, red slime isn't always red. Just follow the directions on the box and it should work. You might need to add extra water movement in your tank. That will help prevent the build up that allows the red slime to grow.

If you don't have inverts, that red slime killer will probably be okay. People that have used it in reef tanks have had bad experiences with it killing corals and inverts, though.

I think it is cyano-bacteria too. I had it once and I think it was from over feeding. I scooped it up out of the sand with very little effort.

The med is RedSlime Control by blue life. "You will need to discontinue the use of carbon, protein skimming, and ozone during the treatment period." All five days:question: All I have is the original filter with carbon inside.

That will kill the cyano.But its probably going to take a few inverts and corals out to.
Plus the next time you have a cyano outbreak,you'll have to dose more of the slime killer for it to be effective.
Try this first.
#1 Mix up enough water to do a 30% water change.
#2 Use some airline tubing and siphon out as much of the cyano as you can and do a 30% water change.
#3 Cut the lights on the tank off for 3 days.
Then on the 4th day,do another 30% water change,again siphoning out any cyano you see.

Back