Black ich?

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
My Yellow tang has some black dots on him today. What is it? Ich? I thought Ich was white? I'll try and get a pic of it.

Does it look like this:

This was my yellow tang. Sadly he did not survive treatment (probably not due to the ich, but because he was just thin already). The medicine I used was Paraguard. Here is the thread:

https://www.livingreefs.com/splinter-looking-things-t25896.html

sick_tang.jpg

Paravortex, aka black spot disease. Will need to treat with a formalin bath then qt. Not quite as deadly is white ich but can live longer without a host, so will take longer to rid from the display.

yup looks a little like that. I have heard just leave him and he will fight it on his own as long as he is still eating? I have also heard that cleaner shrimp will pick the exterior stuff off of him. I don't have a QT so what should I do?

Honestly, back then, had I known that "leaving them alone" is sometimes the best treatment, I would have. I have had zero luck w/ treating fish in QT, and I've treated 2 fish in qt, both died in treatment -- but both were eating heartily in the DT. You'd have to treat ALL The fish and leave the tank empty for a few months, otherwise they get it once they go back in the DT. If yours is eating, you will just have to hope he fights it off.

Yes -- qt'ing from the start pays off because no matter how stressed your fish get, they can't succumb to parasites that are not in the tank.

+1 wonton

But i hear your tank isnt eating, in your case it might be worth it to pull him out and treat with antibiotics. It wont do a think about the black ich, but will cure the secondary bacterial infection. The secondary infection is what kills the fish more than the parasite.

Thanks LF, He is eating, I just never saw him eating but I switched from feeding the tank at night to feeding durring the day and now I see him eat. I think I'm going to leave him in and see what happens. We are also going to get a cleaner shrimp tomorrow so hopefully that will help too. He seems very healthy so I'm not super concerned yet.

Well today I fed him some seaweed which he ate up pretty quickly so he is definitely still eating. His spots haven't gotten better or worse and he seems to be active. I did see him flashing a little bit today so we took action. We went to the LFS and got a cleaner shrimp and when we got him home, he went right over to him. We didn't see him get cleaned and now he is asleep so I don't know if he took care of it but I will check on him in the morning. The guy at the LFS said that if he is still not looking better by tomorrow to give him a call and he is going to lend me his fish trap. He said a freshwater dip will fix the problem but will stress the tang out so it's my 2nd choice. Hopefully the symbiotic relationship will fix it and he can fight whatever else there is off no problem. I'll keep you all updated!

I did the freshwater dip on my tang....the black spots did fall off. Then I moved him to qt and used the paraguard. He only lived a couple of hours after that. But then again, my tang, which I had just purchased a day or 2 before that, was already thin and uber stressed anyway. He was eating, though. I hope yours makes it through.

I checked on him this morning. Apparently the cleaner shrimp did his job because no more black spots! I know that doesn't mean he is cured but I think he should be able to fight it off on his own! Will keep you posted but he seems ok so for now, I'm going to leave him.

He's not cured, but at least the shrimp picked off the annoying visible ones. He's still got parasites inside. But if he keeps eating and the shrimp keeps him comfortable, then hopefully he'll fight it off :) Good job!

Like I said, had I known that leaving a fish alone would've been fine, I would have done what you did.

well it has been about a week and my yellow looks better than ever! All of the visible black spots are gone, his color is better than I have ever seen it and he is more social than I have ever seen him EVER. I don't know if he is 100% cured or not but I think I did the right thing getting that shrimp and letting him fight it on his own! He seems much better. Thank you guys for all your input!

Yay! Good job :) Keep everyone else healthy!

I would start quarinting and copper treatment immediatly

The problem is he would have to qt everyone in the tank and leave the tank fallow for a few months to ensure that the ich goes away....otherwise it would be pointless to just treat that one guy.

Back