Black Ich

Waddi

Shenanigans?
Well, looks like my tang has developed this, dont know how, but he has. Tiny black dots.
So I'm going to siphon the sand, bring down the salinity. Any other ideas?
This is such a major piss off in a new 125 tank. Im actually annoyed beyond belief. I just have that feeling of giving up, and just scrapping the whole tank. nothing seems to be going my way. Even through numerous water changes, and so on, no corals are thriving, infact, they just look to be in constant stress. F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could just punch someone in the face right now.

First things first. Are you sure it is black ich? Could be several other diseases. All of which need different treatment.

Second, take a step back.

Third, don't do anything drastic.

I did a search and this is what I found.
Black Spot or Tang Disease - Black Ich Diagnosis and Treatment

Apparently, it is cause by a type of flat worm. So my guess, flatworm exit might be able to kill the parasite. Not sure if it would get to the ones in the substrate. Can't hurt to try since this product is safe for reef tanks.

Also, in order to have an effect on the parasite, running hypo needs to get down well below what corals, snails, and inverts survive. Other wise the parasite will remain unharmed.

When I attacked RTA I thought I would lose but in the end I killed if off. Plan out your attack carefully. It ain't over till its over.

Well, in the morning, imma just throw him in a FW for about 3 mins, then back in the tank, then siphon the sand, and see where that leads me.

A yellow tang I got had black ich. Looked like flecks of pepper or splinters all over him. I only had him a week, and did not survive treatment (he was already skinny to being with)

I'm not sure what the treatment of choice is for black ich, but beej is right about lowering the salinity -- it has to go down rapidly to 1.009 for it to be effective. Your inverts and corals will not survive that. And it has to stay that way for a couyple of weeks.

Also the fw dipp will only get rid of the visible ones. It will not kill off the internal ones. Is your tang eating? Maybe he can fight it off.

Back