Black Long Spine Urchin

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
Is $10 a good price for a healthy, tennis ball-sized one of these? Got someone breaking down their tank and wanted to make sure...

Diadema1.jpg
http://bcrc.bio.umass.edu/vifishandwildlife/Education/FactSheet/Images/Diadema1.jpg

Yes it is a steal.

That said, these little (or in your case big) guys will knock everything over in your tank. Their spines will also break off, and if you are impaled by one it will be excruciating pain as you have never known. I had one in an early setup, and when I broke the tank down I could hardly salvage the sand because I was so afraid of getting spiked by an urchin spine.

Andysgirl that a GREAT price, I have one i got from the lfs and i paid like 40 bucks for mine. Just dont pick it up with your hand or let it poke you while your cleaning your tank, the sting is comparable to a bee sting but it still gets irritating:Cheers:

I got impaled by one during a night dive in Hawaii. The spines were in my flesh for 6 months. I've read that they will quickly eat all algae and then starve unless you feed them algae sheets.

They arnt that bad at all, mine runs all over the tank and doesnt knock over anything, i even have a seapple and he doesnt affect it at all, if you like it go for it i love mine

i had one in my tank for a long time and they udually do very well in tanks. in the two years i had mine it never did anything bad to the tank

i never had any trouble with any broken spines when i had one. i dont think thay have anything in them once they break

The venom is released from seizing organs called pedicellaria, and therefore should not be in the broken spines, but the spines remain sharp as needles. They are cool organisms, I admit, but I was happy to be rid of mine.

Andysgirl go for it it will be just fine in your bigger tank, even with corals I think you will enjoy it. Like I said i have a seapple and hairy mushrooms and it doest bother either one of them along with a number of other corals. just use the gloves my wife:mrgreen: sent you when you clean the tank:mrgreen:

:Cheers:I wish I lived in Denver or colorado springs cause their are people on there selling their stuff at some really good prices.You can get an awsome deal on craigslist

Uhh are you sure these guys are venomous?

I get pricked by these things on a weekly basis at work and it does hurt, but it's just like being poked by a needle, not like a bee sting.

Solarfall. That is actually a very good question, and I think the jury is out on this one. I have read different things from different sources. So far, it seems that (1) the tips of the spines are venomous, (2) the venom is produced by a gland, (3) the spines are not venomous, (4) there is debate about whether or not the spines are venomous, and (5) people have died from respiratory issues after being stung.

Anyone know the REAL answer?

I intend to use gloves at all times! Thanks!!! I've set up to pick up the little fella this weekend. I think he'll make a nice addition to my tank. Thanks for all of your feedback guys!

At 10 bucks,It would already be in my tank:D
Go get him Andysgirl,you'll love having a Long Spine.

Weather or not the spines have venom,depends on the species of urchin.Long Spines are not venomous,but the spines are covered epithelial tissues and bacteria which can cause serious discomfort.The spines are also barbed,so they tend to work deeper into the wounds they cause.

Thanks everyone. I tend to approach my tank with the following philosophy.... as long as you understand the species that you are hosting in your tank and you maintain a healthy respect for those critters, you should be able to safely keep them. :D

Back