Black Longspine Urchin Question

Epos

Reefing newb
I just watched one of my black longspine urchins that I've had for about 4 months now eat a track up one of my $80 ORA Acro frags and crawl back down. This would explain why 2 of my other Acros look like somebody has scraped flesh/skeleton off with a potato peeler. Has anybody else seen this happen? I have recently started scrubbing and blading all of the algae in my tank to encourage these algae-eating machines to turn their hunger on the coralline that is starting to get out of hand. Has anybody heard of them doing this before when they're out of non-calcaerous algae? I've had them for 4 months and they've never once damaged a coral until the last few weeks! Only sps as well (not including my Hydnophora, but I think they'd have to have a cast iron stomachs to eat a Hydnophora).

absolutley, alot of urchins will eat corals. As well as some are very venomous (usually never available in stores, but they do occasionally get collected and sent as something else)

Mine is all black winy, with a huge orange looking eye in the middle. Wich i have disscovered to be his buttt:mrgreen:

Their spines are all black but I'd be willing to bet there are more than one species of urchins that fit the general Black Longspine description. A few of them have a somewhat more prominent purple tint to their spines, if that makes a difference.

Back