Black Sand

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
So, hubby says he wants to redo the floors. :yikesu:Which means we need to move our tank. I was thinking the best way to do this was to move all the coral-encrusted rocks, livestock and inverts into another tank......which other tank, I'm still working on that.....non coral encrusted rock I can put into a large rubbermaid bin with a heater and PH. Then I need to completely breakdown my entire system.

SOOOOO, here goes:
1) Any tips or advice on moving a large system would be GREATLY appreciated!!
:bowdown:
2) When I take down my current tank, I am thinking of re-plumbing my durso drains. The way my tank is drilled, the pipes come up in the middle of the tank. I was thinking of plumbing them over to either corner. Will this cause any significan drain flow problems, reduction in flow?

3) I have a VERY slow leak.....somewhere. Not sure of the best way to locate it, but I could cut out all the old silicone and re-silicone the whole thing, or I could put a new layer of silicone over the older. Thoughts?

4) In searching for a temporary home for the livestock during the remodel, I could buy a NEWER 125, properly drilled tank, and ditch the old one altogether. :bounce:

5) Since things have not been moved around in a while, should I worry about causing a cycle by stirring things up? :death:

6) When I put the tank back AFTER the remodel, I was thinking of putting in a black sand bed. However, I am reading some reviews that the black sand contains a lot of iron particles that can mangnetically attach to my glass cleaner or PH magnets. Does anyone here use black sand? I would use dry sand, to avoid a new cycle.

Well I can only give advice on one question and that's the black sand. I used it in both my tanks and have had no problems. Just make sure its for marine tanks. I personally love the look of black sand. I will never go back to white or tan.

Hmm, well first I vote for # 4 (or go bigger) :)

And second, if you remove live stock and corals, then I wouldn't worry about stirring things up in your tank once you dismantle if everyone is out already!

I don't know what to say about the sand. I've been thinking of going with black sand myself, but don't know if corals and clams will look as brilliant as they do on white sand.

I think you have fine plan for moving your tank, just get lots of buckets and extra help is always nice. If you are moving them to a new tank for the time being, then I would have the other tank set up as much as possible day of move.

If you can buy a properly drilled tank, I would go that route. Otherwise I would remove the silicone and put new stuff in.

I would expect a mini cycle or a nitrate issue because you stir up all the junk, so be ready with new water for water changes. Not a whole lot more you can do other than that.

This black sand has my interest. Im actually about to get sand for my new tank. Wheres the best place online to get it? When its dirty does it show more or less?

I was just reading some reviews about it and people mention it looks worse with time and isn't easy to maintain. Can others with experience in this confirm or deny these reviews?

Last edited:
I think I am going to go with a properly drilled tank. Would also give me an opportunity to have it running for a little while before moving all the livestock over. Then when the floors are all done, I can resell it.

Well I can only give advice on one question and that's the black sand. I used it in both my tanks and have had no problems. Just make sure its for marine tanks. I personally love the look of black sand. I will never go back to white or tan.

How long have you been using black sand? How is it "aging" for you? Im thinking of going with the black sand in my new set up as well. I can't find many pics of black sand reefs.

Just my experience, I'm sure Brittany will chime in with hers. I had white sand in my first tank. Hated it. So 6 months ago when I started my new tank I put in a bag of beige and a bag of black sand on top. It still looks amazing and I love the results. But, I did sort of a mix so I don't have that dramatic look that all black has. Which I love.

I did the same with my 29g. I did white underneath and black on top. It's mixed in areas and I really like it. I decided to go all black in the ten gallon and I love it! Not a fan of turbo snail poop everywhere but I don't have all my cuc yet so hopefully that will be fixed.

What brand of black sand did you girls go with? Was it live sand or dry? I am pretty sure I'm going to do the black sand, but want to avoid using live sand (a friend of mine had a major pea-soup tank crash with live sand and I just don't want to go there!)

II'm sure I overpaid but that's how I roll....

LOL!

Has anybody done a complete sand change on an established tank before. Do you have to let it cycle again? I would like to pull the trigger and switch but would like to hear what all is involved. I only have the one tank so i couldnt put all my stuff in a temp or anything.
TIA

In my 29 I used the same as Sarah. Didn't have any problem with the live sand. If anything it helped speed up the cycle. In the ten gallon I used the dry black sand for marine tanks. Cant remember the brand tho, sorry.

Back