blakc perc clowfish

hen750rr

Reefing newb
hey so i had two false perc in my 24 nano tank.i later on introduced a black clownfish(3") to my tank. after a while my black perc started to attack only my female so i decided to take out the female false perc. and now my black perc and my false perc(male) seems to b doing pretty well. they are both touching eachother kind of. sometimes they nib at eachother but thats it.
SO my question is can i pair them up and is it possible to breed them? black perc and false perc?

I wouldn't try it...clownfish are weird enough with their own species, so a different clownfish will be pushing it...

p.s. welcome to the site.

hmmm interesting, if i do then i just made a new type of clown fish..!! lolzz, well i need to get rid of one fish,definetley not my black perc(40$).

I just re-read your OP.
The only difference between a true perc and false perc,is the false is tank bred,where the true is wild caught.The black clown is actually a false perc thats bed for the black coloration.
I think.

What do you consider a false perc? I thought Amphipiron Ocellaris was considered a false perc where as Amphirion Percula was a true perc?

They are two different species.
Amphiprion ocellaris = False Percula
Amphiprion percula = True Percula

The difference is both in size, dorsal spine count, black outlines and price. Either can be wild caught or captive bred. True percs are not as hardy as the false.

Google is my friend :)

+1 Biff
I'm not sure I follow you 100%. Are both your clowns a.ocellaris or do you have 1 of each. If you have 2 ocellaris or 2 percs, colors make no difference to them. They are the same fish. If you have 1 of each, there is a slim chance they will breed. Sanjay cross bred ocellaris and percula and came out with his Black Photon hybrids...which were for sale on Divers Den for around $150/pair.

The Odd Couple (A. percula "Onyx" X A. ocellaris "Darwin") By Sanjay Joshi

Last edited:
Back