Bleached Frogspawn

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
so my frogspawn was the first coral I got for my tank a couple months ago and it is the only one that has gone downhill. For a long time it was flourishing and looked on the verge of splitting from 6 heads to 8 or so. I would say a month ago I noticed two of the heads turn white and the rest seemed fine. Now the two are still white and the others are still their usual color but they have all resided to not extending more than a half inch and appear very skinny tubed. The only thing I could think is that since introduction I have replaced two stock actinics with UV Super Actinic and I also added a UV 75.25. Every other coral including a large green torch in about the same area, candy canes, hammer coral, cup coral, toadstool, are all growing by heaps and bounds. The only losses I have had were two Clams that died within a week of each other that I chalked up to moving them around too much. Any ideas what I could do to help my frog. Should I spot feed it? change my lights?

I am running the 36" Nova Extreme Pro's.

Where is the frogspawn located?
If its high up on the rocks then lower it near the sand.I've never tried to directly feed a frogspawn but you can try.Maybe some cyclopeeze and mysis gently squirted on the tentacles with the pumps off.

My frogspawn will take mysis and krill, I squirt some at it with a turkey baster and a few pieces usually stick. What kind of flow do you have it in? My frogspawn turns to crap if it gets too much flow.

oh well if flow is the issue then thats prob the reason. I have two Koralia 3's going directly across from each other and slightly upward. Both the frogspawn and torch sway crazy (that is when the frogspawn was healthy)

I agree with Yote. Too much light. When I changed to the Nova Pro, my one frogspawn lost two heads even after I lowered it down to the bottom. Just slowly move it up and it should acclimate to the new lights.

the two heads I mentioned died completely now. I have a tough situation because anywhere I move it from its spot it will jeapordize the other corals because it sends out stingers.

Back