bleaching event

scubacane

Reefing newb
I have a stable 2.5 yo JBJ 28 gallon 186 watts metal halide lighting, SG1.025, calcium 440 , alkalinity 9 dKH, nitrates 0, pH 8.3, temp 79 F, water changes - 4 gallons distilled with instant ocean weekly, other additives- iodide, strontium.Tank has many SPS species, zooas, frogspawn, hammer, tongue, open and closed brain, candy cane and has overall been doing quite well. Yesterday after my water change , I noted two of my small polyp stonies colors become muted rather rapidly which has persisted into today. You can still see polyp extension and all of my other corals look fine.They havent lost all of their color by no means but something has stressed them. The only other factor is that last week I pruned back my green sinularia way back as it was growing out of control- could it have released some toxins when I cut it back that I am just noticing now? Any ideas are appreciated

We had someone on here with a similar issue recently. I think the issue ended up being red bugs. The are really hard to see but try and see if you have any on the corals that bleached.

Leathers do release toxins into the water when they are stressed (called coral chemical warfare). Did you cut the coral in the tank? That could have been the cause.

Did you have any swings in parameters lately? Like temperature or pH swings over a 24 hour period or something like that?

Leathers practice chemical warfare, since stinging
polyps (aggressive defense) or a hard skeleton
(passive defense) are not available options.
They emit chemicals toxic to potential threats,
like other corals trying to hone in on their
turf, so it is important to not let them touch,
or even be too near other corals.

It has to be the sinularia cutting- my red montipora has lived within inches of it for 2 years and has never appeared bothered by it- in fact , growing10 x it's original size and even up the side aquarium glass, however when I cut the sinularia , I cut a large stalk off ( couldnt take it out of tank,because it has adhered to the live rock)- must have released some noxious stuff to throw the montipora's color off- I am starting a new biocube 14 gallon with LED lighting upgrade from nanotuners to seperate my softies from my SPS but it probably wont be ready to go for another month

186 watts on a 28 is a lot of light. I have put stonies too high up on the rocks under my 150 watt MH and they withered and died. High light corals will do just fine down on the sand in a 28 with 186 watts. Only clams and anemones could sit close up (6 or 7 inches) under the light.

Back