bleaching gsp?

greg1186

Reefing newb
for the past week or two my gsp has been closing VERY slowly.. my hermit walks over it maybe like twice a day but now its mat is starting to turn white.. should i move it? is it dangerous to the tank if it dies?

and also my clown sometimes just sits and stairs at it forawhile hahha... any ideas?

What are your parameters?

Ammonia,
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH

Also, what kind of lighting and flow do you have in your tank? They can be somewhat finicky towards those things

ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrate = 0
ph = 8.0-8.1
salin - 1.024

biocube stock lighting stock flow

the gsp did great the first 3-4 weeks it was in there... fully opened bright colors..

alright chemistry looks ok
are you doseing with the proper food for the gsp? how about vitamins and minerals? also as long as the hermit isnt like sitting there all night and day walking on it shouldnt hurt it too much it happens in nature right
but one thing that could is its position in the tank and if diatoms are staring to build up or some sand is on the polyps MABEY

You did not post your phosphates and corals more sensivtive to phosphates then they are to nitrates.

Alos, it is possible for LPS and SPS to get too much light! I have put a couple LPS about 6 inches under a 150 watt MH only to watch them bleach and die.

For starters, you cant feed gsp. So i wouldnt worry about that, i think it will just cause you more issues.

I would move it to a higher flow area, and see if that helps.

If all you got for flow is the return pump.Then you need to add a couple of power heads.
Stock flow in those bio-cubes isnt anywhere near enough flow.

yeah i got one of the nano cubes the model that came out before the biocube and yes the flow sucks big time but they are niceish to have
wand what i mean by feeding is the liquid supplement you know like phytot (spelling) planktin and what not

Carter, GSP don't "eat" any food as far as I know. not phyto or anything else that is more for SPS and filter feeders.

GSP should not be dieing b/c of low flow.

Sen maybe the only one on track here from the information given.

I dunno, i know my GSP always look much better when they have some high flow on them. I have two huge rocks with GSP on them, same hight in the tank, but the one with the higher flow always looks better.

But can you give us an update on how they are doing?

no how much are powerheads? i have them directly in front of the jet.. i dont know how much more flow they can handle... anymore they will be blown right off the rock...

my guess is not enough water flow or your lights are getting too old and are not producing the right kind of light. phosphate could have a role in the problem but phosphate text kits are not very good

Back