blennies

BCReefer

pro stoner, newb reefer
I've got quite a bit of hair algae coming in, which i quite as long as it doesnt overun the place. That's why the next addition will be some kind of blenny. I know the old standy lawnmower eats the stuff but i was just wondering about other blennies that do the same. and obviously it needs to be compatible with my watchman goby, purple pseudo, damsel and clowns.

You really should address what is causing algae before adding a fish to try and cover up the problem. Adding more waste tends to worsen algae issues.

If it's a new setup, it might take quite a few months for the algae phase to pass. You might try using a phosphate remover and pulling it out by hand for a while to see if that helps. Also try cutting back on the amount of food you're feeding. You can get fish, crabs, snails, slugs, etc, but chances are it'll grow faster then they can eat it.

Be careful with Lawnmowers. They will eat your algae but then after they are done, need to eat pods. Your 55 gal may have enough room that you could seed them in your tank and have enough fror him to eat but please don't starve him. I had one when I first started and had to take him back to the LFS before I starved him to death.

Casey

I had a small green hair algae issue for a couple months and my tailspot blenny did a great job eating it away. He also eats frozen veggie blends also so I give him that about twice a week since I thankfully dont have much in the way of algae anymore.

But no matter how much they eat you should also work to better your water quality so that you dont continue to grow it.

I reduced the amount of time my lights were on, only use RODI water and dont feed any flake food or too much food that might sit and rot.

Hey just looked at what I had. Apparently, Petco mislabeled a scooter mandarin as a lawnmower blennie. Ironically enough, I just got a lawnmower today!

Back