Blenny Bloat Death....

Jenna09

Reefing newb
Hi Everyone

My Blenny passed away about 2 years ago now and I had him for probably 2 years. He started off looking normal and then he started to get bloated and by the time he died he looked like this :shock:

IMG_1968.jpg

Yes that is a Canadian quarter.

He lived this large for 5-6 months, he could no longer fit into his favourite spot in the rocks but he found a new home in a larger hole. Otherwise he acted totally normal until his death; ate great and was able to swim around fine.

Any ideas what would cause this? I noticed my new bi-colour blenny having a little pooch in his tummy area and I am fearful that he may have the same thing!

Any advice on what might have caused this and if I can prevent it with my new blenny would be great.

Thanks
Jenna

And I didn't leave him in the tank for days or anything and he bloated when he died...he looked like this for months!

I was wondering about a parasite or worms or something like that to!

Jenna

Wow!! That is crazy! I don't know what that is -- maybe a swim bladder infection or dropsy, a bacterial infection (do a google image search for dropsy).

I would send an email with that pic to the Wet Web Media guys. They are geniuses.

Last edited:
Response from Wet Web Media Guys:

Mmm, likely something this fish ate... and this most probably from
something in the tank... organisms that "didn't agree w/ it" or it couldn't
digest...Not much one can do if "such organisms" occur on/w live rock, and your
fishes ingest them. Bob Fenner
Interesting....

Jenna

wow! cut back on the brewskies! its a little too well shaped to be a tumor, guess you didn't do a necropsy? I never have the heart to

No I didn't do a necropsy but I still have him in the freezer...morbid:shock: but I want to bury him and my other fish and I haven't found the right location. I can't flush them like freshwater fish because they are more personal.

Jenna

Ps they are in s freezer that holds rodents for my snakes lol

No I didn't do a necropsy but I still have him in the freezer...morbid:shock: but I want to bury him and my other fish and I haven't found the right location. I can't flush them like freshwater fish because they are more personal.

Jenna

Ps they are in s freezer that holds rodents for my snakes lol
yeah, I make no distinctions, mine can go in the people fridge

Back