Blenny's wild ride

When I went to add calcium yesterday, before I did my usual roll call for my fish, I was very surprised to see my midas blenny in the return section of my sump. The poor little guy went over the overflow, down the return pipe, into the skimmer part of the sump, went over the wall into the refugium, then must have landed on the bubble trap (out of the water) and flipped himself the right way into the return section. Luckily I recently put in a foam pad over the return pump otherwise it might have pulled him in. I just can't believe he got over that 4 inch wide bubble trap and didn't flip himself out of the sump or something.

I put him back in the tank and he only hid for 30 seconds and then was back swimming around. After observing him eating algae off the top of the overflow, I realized that over the weekend I had adjusted my powerhead to point up there and the flow must have pushed him up and over. I adjusted it now so its calm there again. Oops. Poor little guy, hopefully he’s no worse for wear after his ordeal.

Nah....I had one chromis do that the first month I had him. I left him for dead, until one day, 2 weeks later, I saw him in my sump. Scooped him out and put him back in the dt. That was maybe 3 years ago...he's still alive ;) In fact, out of the 3 I had, he's the only one I have left! Also had a clownfish and blenny get sucked down. No ill effects.

I have a clown who got sucked into a pump and was fine, he then later go himself stuck in a pipe. Still with me though! Love him to bits!

He didnt get sucked into my return pump, because I didnt have sump at the time. But did get sucked into a pump I was using as a powerdhead. He was actually bent in half sucked into the intake and my boyfriend noticed his little fin sticking out :(

Back