blind and bumpy copperband

murcos

Reefing newb
I was at the lfs a week or so ago and they had a "special needs" copperband. He had been shipped to the lfs and arrived to them with what looked like an exploded eye. It was pretty gross, and it was obvious he couldn't see well out of it. THe sap that I am, I took it home. In the q-tank he went, and I watched him for a week, then he went into my main tank. I am happy to say that his eye is healing rather well. I am not sure what was wrong but his eye is growing back, and I can see his pupil now and he even looks like he can see a bit out of it.

However, something weird developed on one of his fins. I know what ick looks like, and I am pretty sure that it isn't it. It looks like a large white bump on his fin. Very visible, almost like if he had a large fuzz on his fin. Does anyone know what this could be, or how I should treat it?

THanks for the help!

Is it possible to take a photo that would show the spot. What fin is affected (close to gill plate or tail section of fish?

Reason: almost like the question "what came first- chicken or egg"

The fish may have been treated for marine velvet (major cause of eye problems and blindness is marine fishes) with high levels of copper prior to getting to the LFS. Copper in butterfly fishes is more likely to induce POP-EYE which may also have caused the issue with the eye.

There are 3 most common (white spot/fuzz/coating) diagnosis-

1. ICK
2. Marine velvet (most commonly treated with copper but not in a reef)
3. other bacterial or Microsporiasis infection

Try to post a picture since all treatments are different.

Can you see anything white within the gill area? If so move quickly as not to infect others in the tank- this is where velvet will accumulate and eventually cause mortality.

Chris

here's the best pic i could get
fish3.jpg

fish2.jpg

Last edited:
Back