Blind Chromis??

Peoplepc3

Reefing newb
I recently purchased a few Chromis for my 155 gallon hoping they would school. The smaller of the 3 is a real hoot. He spends the day "on patrol" swimming the length of the tank, then back again, playing in the currents of the powerheads. He ate like a little piggy for the first few weeks I had him.

Over the past couple of days, I have noticed he has been hanging out in the same place in the top corner of the tank, doing nothing. I made a remark to my fiancee that he acts like a blind person. Then it hit me....maybe he is blind?

I turned the lights off, found a LED flashlight, shined it on him in his corner....and he never moved.

He is not eating at dinner time.

I think he has been "blind" for about 3 days now and has not eaten in the last 3 days.

My water is always perfect, I can say that I go the extra mile to make sure it is absolutely the best for my little guys. (RO, massive skimmer, fuge, chaeto) This "blindness" did not occur during or after a water change and the Chromis in question seemed to get along with all others in the tank.

Aesthetically, the fish is just fine. No noticeable eye problems, no discoloration.

I have heard this affliction is reversible, somehow, I know I have to feed him but I am not sure how...ideas?

I know he is only a 6 dollar fish but to me, he is a life and a life that deserves saving. If he dies, it will not be because I did not try.

Little help?

Is he being singled out and picked on by the other two??

When I added 7 chromis to my 180 one of them was so much smaller than the rest that he couldn't spend the whole day swimming in the current with the rest of them and would find a corner (out of the current) to rest in and just join up with the school at feeding time. After about three weeks to a month he had grown enough to join the school full time. Not sure if that could be the issue here.

I had 3 chromis once....now only 2. Usually chromis are peaceful, except amongst themselves. Quite a few people here start off with many, but usually end up with only 1. I doubt that fish is blind (lights don't scare my fish; in face, I've made a pretend grab at my lawnmower blenny and goby many times, and they just stare at me). He's probably being ostracized. Unfortunately when a school decides you're out, you're out. Yes, it's still a life regardless, but unfortunately, in this case, nature has stepped in.

I agree with Wonton. This is quite common with chromis. It's very unlikely the fish just went blind. More likely, he has been declared the outcast of the school. Chromis will usually pick each other off one by one (starting with the smallest) until there is only one left. That's why they are called Highlander Fish. ;)

Well, to give an update....perhaps this will help someone in the future.

I took the little guy (he was in fact the smallest of the Chromis in my tank), put him in a "hang in breeder net", and gave him special treatment to ensure he lived.

Though it may seem rare, I firmly believe he was blind. Did a little research via Google by searching "blind chromis" and this doesnt seem to be an uncommon issue. Some cited cyanide will eventually show it's effects after a month from exposure. Also some cited blindness can occur from a lack of proper diet during the few days/week after capture.

Apparently, our little guys are starved for a couple of days to cut down on waste during their transport from their home, to our home. No wonder they arrive stressed out with every parasite known to man.

I spent a few days hand feeding him all different types of food. It took him a few minutes to find the food, yet he always ate. Seemed to be doing well until I woke this morning....

He did not make it through the night.

Poor poor Chromis :o(

Back