bloated clown

EmperorLay

Reefing newb
I came home lastnite and my clownfish was huge. It was like he ate way too much or something but I didn't feed them until I got home. He is also breathing really fast and has some red on his lip like something bit him. Anybody know?

If you could get a picture that would really help. I would hate to guess without a picture as I might send you in the wrong direction.

Brandon

He's just staying in this corner or going under a rock. He's usually the most active fish. He is aslo still breathing really hard.

you078.jpg

you077.jpg

Floating Bloat - clownfishes offered floating pellets to eat have been know to become unable to descend in the water column. Discontinue that food and the fish should recover. Floating flakes seem to cause this problem only in rare instances.

I don't really feed them flakes that much. He was fine when I left and then when I came home he was huge and I didn't even feed him. He didn't make it through:death:

sorry for your loss. check and see if you have tiny bubbles in your water collum. if so could be part of problem. cant think of much else at this time with the information given so far. if I think of anything else Ill let you know.

This just a guess but seems to fit with information given.

DROPSY - is a bacterial disease that attacks nearly all the internal organs of the fish, causing a concentration of fuids in body tissues or cavities. This results in a general swelling of the fishs abdomen, thus causing the scales to protrude from its body.

Be careful when making the diagnosis not to confuse dropsy with egg binding.

Treatment for dropsy is virtually the same as for tuberculosis.

Symtoms - The body will have general swelling with protrusions of scales. The eyes may also bulge.

Treatment - Dropsy is not very infectious. However, the treatment for its bacterial cause requries that the fish be treated in a separate hospital tank.

Medicate the hospital tank with a proper Marine antibiotic manufactured for dropsy or gram negative bacterial infections, such as nitrofuran (furan) or kanamycin sulfate (1st choices). Ask your fish dealer to recommend the brand that has been the most successful. (aureomycin, neomycin sulfate, tetracycline, oxytetracycline, or nalidixic acid 2nd choices)

jhnrb said:
sorry for your loss. check and see if you have tiny bubbles in your water collum. if so could be part of problem. cant think of much else at this time with the information given so far. if I think of anything else Ill let you know.

I did have a lot of air bubbles in my tank from my protein skimmer around the time he was sick. What is the water collum.

jhnrb said:
This just a guess but seems to fit with information given.

DROPSY - is a bacterial disease that attacks nearly all the internal organs of the fish, causing a concentration of fuids in body tissues or cavities. This results in a general swelling of the fishs abdomen, thus causing the scales to protrude from its body.

Be careful when making the diagnosis not to confuse dropsy with egg binding.

Treatment for dropsy is virtually the same as for tuberculosis.

Symtoms - The body will have general swelling with protrusions of scales. The eyes may also bulge.

Treatment - Dropsy is not very infectious. However, the treatment for its bacterial cause requries that the fish be treated in a separate hospital tank.

Medicate the hospital tank with a proper Marine antibiotic manufactured for dropsy or gram negative bacterial infections, such as nitrofuran (furan) or kanamycin sulfate (1st choices). Ask your fish dealer to recommend the brand that has been the most successful. (aureomycin, neomycin sulfate, tetracycline, oxytetracycline, or nalidixic acid 2nd choices)

Yeah this has got to be it, his abdomen was huge and his scales were protruding. Wow thank's a lot!

Water collum is the water in your system from top of sand bed/substrait, or, tank bottom if no substrait, to upper water line in tank.

Back