blue damsel covered in red spots?

Sharkie

The Damsel Defender
ugh.

I think when I brought home my latest fish (the wrasse) i may have brought home a parasite and gave it to the main tank.

my LFS us usually really good about keeping any fish they get in for at least a month (damsels included!) to make sure they are ick/parasite free... and eating. they have separate systems and if the light isn't on then you can't buy the fish. They also have everything separated by their shipping incoming date so they know which fishies can leave....

well mine was on the "can leave" list so i brought him home- i'm kinda bad and don't always QT the fish from that particular store because their fish are always healthy and i've never had problems with them.... anywho, i stuck the wrasse in the tank and he was dead/killed the next day :c

fast foward to yesterday... i noticed my 2 striped damsel and blue damsel had red spots all over their bodies-i tried garlic and giving them some melafax (apparently it doesn't work really well in salt water?) and today both the stripes are MIA and poor blue has red and black spots all over his body-he's VERY pale and he tries to swim but just lays on the bottom of the tank. He's been trying to eat today but can't catch anything and when i try to hand feed him he still can't get it.

I'm wondering if its a parasite or if my fish are being bullied by my trigger? I've never seen the trigger bother my damsels but its a possibility?

what should I do about these crazy red and black spots? the black is mainly on his face and the other fish don't have any signs of this stuff on them (figured it would be black ick but don't see it on anyone else).

Dang, that is bad luck. I understand how you feel about QT. I don't have room for a QT or the money. College ftw! My LFS is also very good about healthy fish and all of my stock has been great. Bad luck is all I can say.

That sucks, sharkie :( Sometimes even the most diligent of LFS's can let a sickly one slip past. I don't qt either, but if I ever had a total loss, I'd let my tank go fallow for the alloted time period, and qt from then on. At this point, qt'ing is of little use unless all the fish have been qt'd.

Any idea what it was yet?

Yeah, I'd figured dosing food and helping the fish fight off whatever they have would be the best thing, instead of stressing the fish even more.

Could you get some store credit Sharkie?

our LFS doesn't do store credit. once the fish leaves its your problem-even if it dies in the bag pretty much.

and i came home after work to a tank full of dead fish. all that is left is my trigger, duke the clown, kona, the egg, and one chromis who i don't think is even going to make it through the night.

it sucks so bad and I feel like quitting. I can't afford it anymore and all i do is put money into things and it never works out. I feel like i'm throwing away money and I can't figure out my problem. everything checks out lvl wise, no strays volts... NOTHING. it really really sucks. its pretty pathetic that i'm crying over dead fish right now. it really really sucks

Back