Blue/Green Chromis

runningrandy04

Reefing newb
Hey, So I think I'm finally gonna get some fish for my tank. What I want to get is 2 false percula clowns and as many blue/green chromis as my system can handle. I'm probably not gonna be able to get the recommended 6 to make a school, but how many could I comfortably put in a 20gal. I'm going to add the chromis first since they are less aggressive. A few concerns I have: 1.) Will they form into a school if I add one at a time or 2 but 2 might be pushing it? 2.) I recently got a emerald crab (thought i might have viola). Anyway....I know they are aggressive towards small fish but would the chromis be in any danger? I'm feeding the inverts more to keep the green guy happy, but I don't know if that makes a difference I think thats about it. Thank!

Those fish school in the hundreds in the wild.You will not be able to add enough in that size system to form any kind of school.In the wild there is a pecking order.Having just a few isn't enough to keep aggression disperse.I've read in small systems and in small amounts chromis generally kill each other off til there is only one or two left.Only in the presence of a threat-like larger aggressive fish do they tolerate one another.

Consider adding only one or getting something else.

Well, thats not exactly what I wanted to hear but I think I might try 2. They might join up against the clowns. Who knows? It's good to know about schools of 100 though. Now I won't be trying to school them with 4 or 5. When I upgrade I might try 10-15.

For chromis, odd numbers work best. Unfortunately, a 20 gallon tank is so small that you will be maxed out at 3 or 4 fish total. I have a school of 5 in my tank, and they do fine, but two will probably fight with each other for dominance.

Damn, everyone is just popping my delusional thoughts tonight. Gosh!! That odds thing kinda makes sense now that I think of it. So...I guess I'm back to one again. Oh well...

I got my green chromis last night!! He's so cool!! This afternoon it took an hour for him to get used to me, but now he's not shy at all. yea...I've already started planning out the 180gal that I want, which will probably be bumped up to a 240. Thats gonna be a long while down the road though. Gotta save money and stop moving every year.

Back