blue green cyano?

tonyg

Reefing newb
Hey guys, Ive been noticing these spots for some time. They seem to be slowly growing. They only seem to be on one rock. I plan on taking the rock out to try and clean them with a toothbrush as soon as my fuzzy chiton moves to another rock (which may take a while.) Any tips on dealing with this stuff? Is it cyano? It looks really slimy.

Attachments

• bluish.jpg
    bluish.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 606
That will help us tell what it is. Cyano will come off really easily, its a dark purple sponge it will be harder to get off, and if its a dark coralline it will be sure hard to come off.

Stuck my hand in there today and found that the spots scrape off quite easily, but they wont peel or pull off. Looks like a stiff bristle brush will make really quick work of the gunk. Do you think its safe to do this with the rock in the tank? Or will I spread it if I don't take the rock out?

Last edited:
Its been a week since removing the spots, It seems to have started to come back a bit. I'm not to worried about it now that I know manual removal was so easy.

For some reason i'm always very hesitant to try and scrape or scrub anything off of the rocks.

Back