Blue Jaw Triggerfish will not eat

Constance6502

Reefing newb
I have a Blue Jaw Trigger that I have had in my display tank for about 8 months. It has been doing great until about 10 days ago when it stopped eating. He does not swim alot anymore and hides himself in the rocks as he would normally do at night. I have moved hime to the quarantine tank but don't know what to do for hime. All other fish in the tank are doing fine and there are no signs of external parasites. It seems that he is losing some of his blue coloring on his jaw and the yellow on his fins seems no to be as bright as they used to.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

:helm2:

all fish will lose there color when you move them tank to tank. they looked faded. maybe you just havent seen him eating but im sure hes getting food behind the rocks etc. besides you physically not seeing him eat and hiding. is there anything else? seems fine and acting normal to me gobies and those types love to hide in my experience.dart in and out of the rockwork
also put a few drops of garlic extract on some mysis see if that will trigger a feeding response.

Well, 1st of all, hello and welcome to the site...yeah, we will need a lil more info about your set-up...parameters, tank mates, feeding habit, etc...is it possible that he is being picked on by one of the other fish???

Yes, water quality is good. Just in case I did a 25 percent water change. I have not added any fish or coral prior to this problem either.
Not many tank mates. 1 Yellow tang, 1 yellow stripe maroon clown, 1 Hippo tang, 10 green chromis, 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 orange spotted goby and a few soft corals. I feed with several flavors of frozen foods.(mysis and brine shrimp, silverfish etc...). I add reef bio fuel, Liquid reef, reef buffer, iodine, and chromamax as required. I have no ammonia, nitrates, nitrite, and no phosphates. PH is right. Agauin all others fish are not affected and are doing fine.

What were you feeding him before? Were you feeding him anything large enough that you could grab it with a pair of feeding tongs? Soak his food in garlic extract prior to feeding. Then, with the feeding tongs, wave the food in front of him. See if that helps.

all fish will lose there color when you move them tank to tank. they looked faded. maybe you just havent seen him eating but im sure hes getting food behind the rocks etc. besides you physically not seeing him eat and hiding. is there anything else? seems fine and acting normal to me gobies and those types love to hide in my experience.dart in and out of the rockwork

Triggerfish, not goby.

Back