blue leg hermit croaked!

greg1186

Reefing newb
so my hermit was crawling aroud and the next thing i know it.. he crawled out of his shell and was dead! i though maybe it was a molt at first because i looked in his shel and though i saw something in there so i put the shell back down and it hasnt moved for 6 hours now :(

all my parameters are fine, but two days ago i moved a lot of my live rock around to catch my shrimp to bring back.. could that have done anything?

If it did molt they sometimes take a while to recover. I have a tank of regular non water crabs and they disappear for weeks sometimes.

no i didnt see it come out.. i hope hes still in there... and btw now that im already asking questions... every night about a half hour before the lights go out.. my clown starts to suck on his anemone and make it shrivel up small... any ideas?

ok, so now i see the clown like pecking at the anemones mouth and i saw the anem let out a little brown gooey stuff that the clown is eating.. is that bad?

The brown stringy stuff is :pooh: The clown is just into that sort of thing I guess.

Him sucking on his nem might just be a way for him to prepare it for sleep?

so i think my hermit is realy dead.. his shell is still sitting in the same place i put him face down. the only tests i have are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, = 0 ph = 8.0-8.1 salin = 1.025 and dkh= 160

what could have killed the hermit?

ya, im pretty sure he had enough algae.. and he was 1 of 2 hermits and he was the biggest one... there was a little hair algae growing on sand so i think he woulda eaten that if he was hungry?

Back