Blue legged-hermit

Dantitan

Reefing newb
I had a blue legged-hermit hitchhike on one of the LR that I bought a few weeks ago. Do I need anything special to keep it alive? Nemo and the crab are the only two inhabitants in the tank at the moment. And also, if I were to buy say 20 Nass. snails in the near future, will it eventually kill all of them for their shells? And would it help keep the kill rate of the snails down if I get some empty shells from the LFS and throw them in there to keep it happy? :question:

And also, if I were to buy say 20 Nass. snails in the near future, will it eventually kill all of them for their shells? And would it help keep the kill rate of the snails down if I get some empty shells from the LFS and throw them in there to keep it happy? :question:

From what I've heard, once a crab learns that the shell's inhabitants are actually yummy, they will keep on attacking them for their shell and just for food. But I'm sure some will kill just for the shells. It's definitely a good idea to have different sized shells scattered for the hermits. (Speaking of which I need to get some large ones soon, because my zebra hermit is getting big)

The crabs and snails eat whatever the fish leave behind. You can get some sinking pellets (I use Formula One) and toss some in there once in a while. The fish usually eat those too, but the ones they miss end up CUC food. But don't do that too often, since you want them to clean your rocks and not get spoiled on other foods.

How big is this guy will determine if a nassarius snail is big enough to kill for it's shell.It's pretty rare I think,Astreas and ceriths snails are more to their liking.Some empty shells may or may not help.It never help me when I had hermits.

Algae and scavenging for leftovers is what they eat.

I don't need any specific supplements to add to the water for them? And he is a small hermit. I'll try to add the nass' and if he bothers them, I'll just take him back to the store.

Back