Blue Linckia Diet

Tristan

Detritus
I have a blue linckia around 3 1/2 inches. i caught him about a week ago and i dont know if he's been eating or not. What should i feed him?

That is probably the hardest star to keep in the hobby. It requires a large, mature tank and even then, they don't seem to last more than a few months. I hate to say it, but you should have left him in the ocean. I'd see if your LFS has a LARGE show tank they will put him in and give your store credit for something else.

Mine will move around the tank and eat when he is hungry. I've had him for maybe 4 months now. I also know that Mike AKA MELOSU58 has had one for years. He will occasionally place an algae tab under his for a treat.

i believe the lfs employees here dont know much about anything. why is it so hard to keep them long term? starvation?

yes, as Yote said, nobody has studied them enough to say conclusively what they eat and how they are best kept in captivity. It is assumed that they die of starvation. As FAST said, he and Mike both have one so I'd keep in regular contact with them if you are going to try to keep it. They both have bigger and more mature tanks than yours though so it's likely that your tank will not be able to support it long term.

i see. i should have researched first. im going to bring him back to the ocean as soon as i go snorkeling again. it's not like i see him during the day anyway.

i heard they will also eat fish eggs. though

They are very hard to keep but with certain steadfast rules they can have a better chance. 1) They can only make it in a very mature tank. I always suggest a couple yrs old. It needs to be a mature tank because they can not survive water parameters swings and temp swings. 2) They can not be exposed to air. You must make sure that your LFS didnt expose them to air and you dont either when you get home. Exposing to air is almost certain death. 3) Linknia stars feed off of microbes in the tank. Another reason for a very mature and large tank. I supplement feedings with algea tabs but you cant give too big a piece as the fish will pull it out from them. 4) try to keep from big salinity swings. Add FW for top offs every day instead of waiting till you need several gallons. This will keep salinity stable and cause less stress on your linknia. I hope this helps. I cant resist showing my 4 1/2 yr old Blue linknia.

100_0813.JPG

Some few more so that you know these guys are very entertaining.

100_1197.JPG

100_0622.JPG

100_0428.JPG

This one was in a national calendar about 3 yrs ago.
000_0252.JPG

Back