Blue Regal Tang Very Sick - Advice Please!

Do you think that maybe whatever is in your tank that was causing fin-rot contributed to the illness of the Blue Tang?

How long before you added the Tang were you dealing with the fin-rot situation?

Yes I absolutely do, my last fish affected went back into the main tank about 2 weeks before the Tang. Thats also partly why I was so firm about the tank size issue ;-)

Im no expert but If I had to take a guess, it would be that there is some sort of bacterial infection in the tank or being hosted by some (or 1) of my other fish. I know of course that there is all kinds of bacteria in tanks to begin with but specifically something that is causing sores and fin rot on my more sensitive fish.

I think my next step is going to be searching for something I can treat my entire tank with that is 100% reef and invert safe. I know thats a tall order but I have heard of a few products suppose to treat reef tanks like this...

In all fairness to those of us who were (are) adament about the tank size being the issue, you didn't give us all of the information up front. How are we supposed to give you sound advice when you don't give us all the information?

Im no expert but If I had to take a guess, it would be that there is some sort of bacterial infection in the tank or being hosted by some (or 1) of my other fish. I know of course that there is all kinds of bacteria in tanks to begin with but specifically something that is causing sores and fin rot on my more sensitive fish.

I think my next step is going to be searching for something I can treat my entire tank with that is 100% reef and invert safe. I know thats a tall order but I have heard of a few products suppose to treat reef tanks like this...

I'm at a loss for why you would put a very sickness prone fish in a tank that obviously has some sort of problem because the other fish have a bacteria infection of some sort. Why would you add a fish to the nightmare? I don't get it.

On the other hand, I personally don't put alot of stock in the different medications that are available as I've read at least 20,000 posts on this forum and I can't name one that actually works. And as far as I know, the ocean doesn't come with medication in it.

If I were you, I'd stop looking for magic in a bottle because it doesn't exist. Purchase a bucket of salt, put some carbon in your sump, and start doing water 10-20% changes every few days.

Did you post your water parameters? ( I found them)

Can you post some pics of the fish(es)?

Last edited:
Ich is pretty much always going to be present in an aquarium because it's a parasite. But it usually does not effect fish unless the fish is stressed. Regal tangs are just very highly susceptable to ich because these particular fish are so easy to stress. And moving the fish to a new tank is definately stressful! I don't think a freshwater dip is a good idea because it could only stress the fish worse! The best thing to do is just keep the stress level down as much as possible and make sure she is eating well. I've read the best thing to do is feed her flavorless/odorless garlic extract that you can find at a health foods store. The garlic acts as the medicine. Get some algae sheets and soak them in the garlic extract and put the sheet on a clip so the tang can pick at it all day. Or I actually found algae sheets that already had garlic extract in them at my local PetCo. Basically I've read the best thing is to keep stress down (which means leaving her in the tank and let the ich cycle) and as long as she is eating well she should be fine! good luck

Also, I read earlier that someone suggested hyposalinity or copper. It's true that those are the only 2 things that really eradicate ich, but you can't use copper in a tank with any corals! I may have overlooked your tank specs, but if you have any corals don't try the copper!

Jenna;460295[B said:
]Ich is pretty much always going to be present in an aquarium because it's a parasite.[/B] But it usually does not effect fish unless the fish is stressed. Regal tangs are just very highly susceptable to ich because these particular fish are so easy to stress. And moving the fish to a new tank is definately stressful! I don't think a freshwater dip is a good idea because it could only stress the fish worse! The best thing to do is just keep the stress level down as much as possible and make sure she is eating well. I've read the best thing to do is feed her flavorless/odorless garlic extract that you can find at a health foods store. The garlic acts as the medicine. Get some algae sheets and soak them in the garlic extract and put the sheet on a clip so the tang can pick at it all day. Or I actually found algae sheets that already had garlic extract in them at my local PetCo. Basically I've read the best thing is to keep stress down (which means leaving her in the tank and let the ich cycle) and as long as she is eating well she should be fine! good luck
Not true...........I DO NOT have ich in my DT..i have seen a few examples that confirm this to me....the latest was an awful eye injury to my CT ,who i believe scraped it on rocks...he didn't eat or even barely move for at least 4 days...just laid in his cave...ich would have certainly attacked him in his condition...not to mention the little battles my fish have everyday ...
read these articles ,its all you will ever need to know about ich
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

I'm at a loss for why you would put a very sickness prone fish in a tank that obviously has some sort of problem because the other fish have a bacteria infection of some sort. Why would you add a fish to the nightmare? I don't get it.

Did you post your water parameters? ( I found them)

Can you post some pics of the fish(es)?

Then allow me to help fill you in...

My tank is far from a nightmare. Let me remind you that we (myself included) do not know the exact cause of the issue. As many people have already pointed out Blue Tangs are very sensitive fish and sometimes will be effected differently than other tank inhabitants.

Because I had isolated issues with other fish does not at all suggest that my tank is a nightmare. Two completely separate issues with the other fish, that were treated for 8 weeks in QT and were 100% back to normal. Also, let me point out the many corals, inverts, and other fish I have than have never had a problem in my tank. I guess while were on a role with all the assumptions, Id bet you my tank conditions are better than yours ;-) Im literally a fanatic when it comes to water and tank parameters. This is also the reason Ive been extremely successful in this hobby in the short time, and have NEVER lost a fish or coral.

BTW I wasnt given an opportunity to get into the details of the situation before some of you jumped down my throat about the tank size. When those who were providing helpful information and asking helpful questions did so, I was able to address these things...

It almost sounds like some are disappointed my fish is doing better!? Cant we all agree on 1 thing at least... That getting better is a good thing!? LOL :D

Then allow me to help fill you in...

BTW I wasn't given an opportunity to get into the details of the situation before some of you jumped down my throat about the tank size. When those who were providing helpful information and asking helpful questions did so, I was able to address these things...

This much is true! The thread seemed a little 'tense'. There are a few of the core here that will always answer your questions, and tactfully guide you in the right direction when needed. I've been helped greatly here by many. From the experts and novices alike! :D Good luck with the :sfish:!!

Shes doing Much better now, whatever was causing the problem the furan seems to help greatly, which does lead me to believe it was bacterial related.

One of my theories about when my coral beauty sick was that she got too close to my territorial perculas and got beat up a little. I believe she got an infection because her fin my have been nipped, thus causing what appeared to be the fin rot (in this case)... Since her time in QT shes has recovered 100% and almost completely grown her fin back.

I say all that to say that I almost wonder if its possible the newbies coming into the tank dont yet realize the "perc's corner" and are having a run in causing similar issues...

Either way she doing good, and im currently making some changes to help eliminate the factors as to what could have happened. My camera has been broken so I havent been able to post pics of my new setup, lights, corals or fish in a while :grumble: Hopefully soon Ill pickup a new one so I can show off the fun new stuff :Cheers:

Hippo Tangs are beautiful, I hope yours pulls through. I bought mine for $30 and he was small. Came home, he got the ich, and I didnt think he would make it, and I thought I would never have a sexy looking marine fish in my tank. But I gave him vitamins, veggies, garlic, all seemed to help. I know there is still ich in my tank, but the fish is stunning and very active. I still get a little scared at night when the fish is asleep, all upside down and stuff behind the rocks, but I just remeber its a Hippo, and they are crazy, and I love him. Good luck.

Back