Blue Regal Tang

RoyalT

Reefing newb
I would like to add my first Tang to my tank, but not one LFS in town has the Regal Blue. Do these fish come in and out of season depending on the season? Any thoughts?

Any thoughts on any other types of Tangs that are good?

since you have a 90 gallon i would be careful not to get a big tang as the love lots of room to swim around unless you plan on upgrading to a bigger tank before it is fully grown. as for the season question i have no idea because my LFS always has a tank full of baby regals so i honestly dont know

these fish are very popular a lot of artist want them thats why the seem to come and go around here may see one maybe once ever 2 months at the lps as for as fishfan stated they do need alot of room and they will grow fast
as for size be careful some very small ones are just not that strong to the current as baby's
my friend bought one three weeks ago and it was about a inch long but was about 1/8 to 1/4 wide a little guy and was playing in the tank looking great but got to close to the overflow and got pinned to it actually went into
the overflow box he got it out it was happy and fine then 2 days later the same thing happened again and then the little guy started acting funny i don't know if this messed up its swim bladder or what but after 2 time it seemed to just get pulled to overflow like it couldn't handle the current like it wasn't strong enough to swim as a baby and it didn't last long so just not sure if baby's are a good thing but it was eating good and was swimming strong before this happened so i don't think it was a bad fish just one of those things that can happen so you may wont to consider a little bigger one maybe medium size and watch him for a few days hope this helps .........

Blue Regals are fairly common.
They also need a bigger tank than a 90.A 180 is more suited to the Blue Regal.Any thing less than 6 feet long,and your gonna have a lot of battles with ick.

Blue regals are one of the more "sickly" types of tangs, they get stressed and get ich very easily. You could keep one happy in a 90 gallon tank until it got large, so it's not out of the question for you to own one. You just have to weigh the risks (i.e. it getting sick and getting every other fish in your tank sick with it).

Hold the phone all you Regal Blue Tang haters... I have one in my 90. He is 6 inches and rules the tank. He never got ich, never got sick, and is not stressed at all. They grow SO SLOW that you have 4 years to upgrade to a bigger tank. I would get one that is 2-3 inches. They are pricey, but there is no "season" for them. They tend to be a staple fish for LFS. I think they are great fish. You will find that those who don't keep them are against them. I love them and will always have one. They are the bluest thing in the ocean and just a great personality fish. A showpiece for sure.

-Doc

are they bluer than the water

LOLSquid.jpg

the smaller ones are not worth it IMHO. Seek a specimen that is 2-3 inches long. You will pay $60 for one that size, but it is worth the money. I don't think any fish has a good survival rate when they are super small. All the literature I have read indicates that really small juveniles or large adults do not ship or acclimate well. Anytime I make an expensive decision about fish, I make sure I wait for the right size fish.

As for the fishfan joke, "clearly" the Tang is bluer than the ocean :mrgreen::mrgreen:

-Doc

I guess it would depend on the depth and color of the sky at that time to depend on which would be darker. In other words you both would be right. Correct?!?

The sea is blue for the same reason that the sky is blue:
In the first place, the sky is blue because the molecules in the atmosphere scatrter the blue part of the spectrum, and the red and yellow parts of the spectrum tend to pass straight through. What happens is that the blue light is absorbed by the molecules in the air; then 're-emitted'. The re-emitted light may get absorbed and emitted many times over before it reaches us. To us looking from the ground, the blue light seems to be coming from everywhere (this is called 'Rayleigh cattereing'); hence the sky seems blue.

The reason why the sea seems blue is similar; but a little more complicated. The sea does reflect the blue colour of the sky (or can appear grey in overcast weather), but this only applies to the surface of the sea. As well as reflecting the blue from the sky, the water molecules scatter the blue light in much the same way as the air molecules in the sky. This accounts for the 'natural faint blue colour'.

In addition, the water also absorbs more of the red and yellow wavelengths than the sky (which warm the sea), leaving the blue part of the spectrum, as well as part of the green. This is why deep water can appear bluish-green. (The absorption of the red wavelengths can be noticed by looking at a red object under deep water. It will appear black; because only blue light is reflected back to us.)

Eventually, at sufficient depth, even the blue light will have been absorbed or scattered away, and deep water will be black and lightless.

these are good things to keep in mind for when we upgrade to our new 90 gallon... I really want a "dory" since we have a nemo...they are such beautiful fish. But, I don't want to take something that is free in the wild and then not have it survive b/c I can't meet its needs. Arguements from both sides...interesting!

And what in the world is that a picture of? my daughter said..."oh, look at it's teeth!"

I just picked up a little 1 1/2" blue tang today, he is tiny, so we will see how he does. I payed around $55, which isn't great, but not bad either, hopefully he will be able to pull through. They have such little fat and they are so active that they need to be fed a lot to have a shot at making it.

get an algae clip and put some nori on it three times a week and you will help it fight disease since blue hippos need all the help they can get

and what i like to do with my tangs is when i feed them they eat mysis shrimp and they get all there veggie matter from the clip that way they get meat and algea

Back