Blue Ricordea Not Happy

Jewelle1954

Reefing newb
I have a 30 gallon bio cube with corals and a few fish. I have a blue ricordia that I got a couple months ago. It was an inch across when I got it. It has tripled in size--literally. There are now three mushrooms, each of which is about 2 inches across. It has been doing awesome, as all the other coral are. A few days ago, all three mushrooms were compacted into a 50 cent piece-size ball. It was a little weird, but I didn't think much of it. The next day, the Ric was not as "relaxed" as it usually is, meaning it was not out to its full size with the edges pointed down like normal. Yesterday it was shrunk again, not as bad as before but the edges were all pointing straight up. It ultimately folded itself up so tight that it looked like a closed button polyp! It has still not gone back to its normal behavior; right now all three are not expanded to even half their size and they are concave so they look like three bowls. All strange behavior for this Ric. I did add some live rock to the tank but it doesn't impede the mushroom in any way. I am at a loss. I'd appreciate any of you knowledgeable folks out there giving me your thoughts. Thanks!
Jewelle

i am guessing it has to do with the water perams,have you checked your amonia? new live rocks may have had dead animals on it resulting in an amonia spike

Back