Blue spiny lobster MISSING!

djpj001

Reefing newb
Hello-

Just 4 days ago I bought a 40 dollar blue spiny lobster. Nice looking lobster wit 4 inch antennas. The LFS told me they tend to escape tanks. So I put a cover that covers 75% of the tank. (The best I could do) The next morning I woke up and to my surprise it was missing. I have a 9o gallon tank with rocks stacked up to the top. I search the tank with my eyes ( cause it’s a pain in the arse to start taking apart the whole tank. Anyways there was no visual on the lobster, I even looked for pieces of him. I checked my attire house inch by inch, and nothing. A few people have said his probably hiding, but he has freekin 4 inch antennas, if I can find my arrow crab and banded shrimp then there's no way this lobster can hide. It's been 4 days and haven't notice and foul odors in the house. I've accepted the fact that he's gone. But I have to get another one. Does anyone have any experience on this lobster, what am I doing wrong? How can a lobster disappear in 8 hours?

Thanks for any help,
DJPJ

I would try putting a shrimp(the kind we eat) in the bottom of the tank late at night when all the lights are out and see if the lobster comes out to play then.

Get a LED reading light that strap around your head, yea you'll look dorky, but you can look in your tank late at night and see the night life going on without scaring everything back into its hole.

I'm not an expert on lobsters, but know how to use the web and were to look and did a quick search for you. They are suppose to be very easy to keep and can stay hidden in LR of burried in the substrate until adjusting to the tank.

My guess he is probably still in there. Try looking for him at night and adding some meety stuff on the sand bed (be careful for nitrate spikes), lobsters are scavengers and that might encourage him to come out.

Back