Blue spotted boxfish

tonymarcus1117

Reefing newb
I am new to the saltwater world just a few months I have two maroon clowns, a huma huma trigger, a niger trigger, a coral beauty and a few soft corals. Purchased a male blue spotted boxfish today from my lfs after being told it wouldn't be a problem and we could introduce him like any other fish. After doing so got online and read alot of stuff about these fish that has me a little worried. How can I tell if my other fish are poisoned? And if they are all ok should I return the fish to the store?

Well your tank is way overstocked.If you wanna have a happy tank return the boxfish and the two triggers as all three need a much larger tank.To be able to thrive without stressing from lack of room.And if you want to keep corals research and dont buy fish that eat corals or your clean up crew

Thank you for the advice both triggers are babies only about 1 1/2" and the boxfish is just barely larger. Also I will be getting a 110 gal next month so I'm not as worried about the size of the tank as I am about the possible effect the boxfish could have on my system just wondering how likely it is that it will kill everything in my tank.

Thats what I was reading and it has me worried about my other fish I think I will take him back tomorrow and give the guy at the store an earful too. Thanks for your help.

Your welcome you will find this hobby so much more enjoyable if you research all your purchases first.whether it's livestock corals or supplies.read read read .Then shop wisely. an impulse buy is not a good thing.unless you are at the fish store and you realize you need a 200 gallon tank................just kidding go slow do the research and you will be a reefer for life

I am already addicted and so far the guys at the store have been extremely helpful I think that maybe he didn't know much about this fish and just didn't want to look ignorant. Now I just have to pray all my fish don't go belly up, I definitely won't be making the same mistake again.

Just remember this my friend fish store employees are salesmen.they will sell you fish and supplies you will never want or need.an educated customer is their worst nightmare.

The best part of this hobby is there is no such thing as stupid question because we all do things a little differently to get the same results.And remember your job is to keep the best water you can and the aquarium will thrive

I agree, I'd take him back to the lfs due to the fact that your tank is too small, and he'd be stressed too much, or he'll get sick from being too cramped or bullied by the triggers and/or clowns. But just to let you know, carbon is an efficient way of removing poisons/toxins, as well as water changes.

Boxfish arnt as scary as you are making them out to be. But they are a very hard fish to care for. As long as you dont have a violent fish that will pick on it there is no reason for it to poisen your tank. Granted your tank is too small ( so please take him back) but when you upgrade you will be ok to get one as long as you keep non aggressive fish with him.... Don"t be afraid of him nikeing your tank cause it is very rare ..:Cheers: One last thing is that all box fish are stated as expert only :bowdown:

Triggers are aggressive fish so i would not put a box fish in with them.

Also, remember your lfs exists to sell you stuff. So if your fish die, and you have to come back to buy more, its better for them. Also, if they sold any triggers for your small tank, they do not have your best intentions, or the fish's best intentions at heart.

Back