blue spotted goby

Justinthereefer

this is bat country
I have had a goby for two weeks now, he is starting to come out more and hang out but now i have noticed one of his eyes are getting foggy.My water is perfect other than my nitrates which are around 15ppm. I was wondering if this happens or is temporary,nothing else in the tank is messed up and he eats and acts normal.Any ideas as to what this could be?Thanks . Also are my nitrates high alot of animal care summary say do not tolerate high nitrates,Is 15ppm high or average.

0 is ideal though 15 isn't any reason to be alarmed. Particularly when we are talking about fish. They can tolerate much higher nitrates than coral and inverts can. As for the eye, it could be a sign of a problem but I will defer to Biff or Yote on this one, or someone who has more knowledge on fish disease than I do....

Cloudy eyes are usually from two things. Less than ideal water parameters or eye trauma. Either way IME pristine water conditions will cause it to go away. You say your water params are perfect, maybe a double check of them at your LFS might be in order.

I don't think it is your nitrates. Sounds like a potential bacterial problem though. Bacterial problems most often occur in a fish within 2 weeks of a being introduced into a new aquarium. If you allow the cloudy eye to go untreated it can turn into pop-eye, but it may also cure itself. You should watch this fish carefully to evaluate if it needs antibiotic treatment. If things get worse, you may want to consider catching him and treating him in a QT.

+1 All the above.

You say your nitrates are at 15.I'd consider that borderline high and try to figure out where their coming from and get them on down.

Back