Blue tang with brown spots

No, The guy went off about my pictures being to large and accused me of not reading ahead before sending my email (which I did) instead of focusing on the issue.

I plan to end the copper this Thursday (day 10), let him swim in water only til Saturday, then acclimate him to the dt. That's a great point about the copper-thanks!

Last edited:
Wait, your copper is between 1.5 and 2.0 ppm? From what I've read about ich treatments, its not supposed to be over .15 ppm - so you're runing 10 times the suggested dose....I would definitely do a water change if that is the case for ionic copper. Are you dosing with ionic copper or chleated copper?

Sorry, my bad-you are correct it is 0.15-0.20. I emailed wet web again. He said no free copper period is advised with this type of fish, and that he would put him in the main tank as is.

He just said "much too toxic" but I can't find anything else that says copper is toxic to blue hippo tangs! I'm dosing at the recommended concentration of between 1.5 and 2.0. The fish seems fine. Anyone know symptoms of copper toxicity?
You'll be fine. Stay calm. Dose as required. I get fish from a guy who has his fish tanks medicated with copper 24-7. As this makes sure all his new arrivals stay ich free.

Yes, My local aquatic shop does the same. The fish is fine. I guess if I was giving advise I would error on the side of caution.

I am happy to report that the brown spots seem to be disappearing! Thanks everyone for your help and support.

My plan to transfer him to my dt is this:

1) place some of the qt water in a bucket (enough to support him with a small power head for circulation.
2) drip him with the dt water til the initial volume of water triples.
3) rinse him in a separate bucket containing dt water before putting him in to rinse off any residual copper.

Any suggestions?

Hey Northstar24-what do you feed your tangs? Ever use Rod's food?

All kinds of things. I feed a smal portion of Formula 1 or Formula 2 flake with some New Life Spectrum pellets at least once a day, sometimes twice. In the evenings when I get home, they get a fozen blend that is made by a local reefer here - its excellent food and its incredibly priced. Once in a while I rotate in some other frozen foods from San Franciso Bay Brands - they sell a flat pack that has like 4 different kinds of frozen food. I also add a little bit of Nutramar Ova to the mix for corals

Last but not least, the tangs and angels get seaweed every day

Back