Blue throat trigger.

Kwater

Chill
I have hurd that blue throat triggers are reef safe. Now i have recently had my domonat fish die ( a yellow tang) and i luv triggers. My queston is can i have one in an 80 gallon reef with many inverts... Shrimp crabs ect. What are anypossable down side to getting this fish and can i keep him with like 8 littler fish???? Thanx. I would just like to know everythinh.

It would be too big for an 80 gallon tank. You really need 125+ gallons to house any trigger. I suppose you could buy a small one, but they grow pretty fast in my experience.

As for reef safe, it'd likely be fine with all the other critters in your tank. Blue throats, crosshatch, niger and pink tail triggers are all considered reef safe. I had a pink tail in my 240 for years and he was a great fish, never bothered anyone else. Now that I have a 90, I'd love to get another one, but I know I just can't keep him in a tank that small. They are very active and need a lot of room. And they grow quickly!

I personally think your corals will safe but your inverts will not be safe. When they say reef safe with caution they mean your inverts might not make it. I think they wont.

Normally reef safe means that the corals are safe.That dont always mean that inverts wont become expensive snacks.:D
+1 Mike

The jumping thing is good advice. I had a Niger Trigger years ago. I had it for a couple years. It was tame, ate out of my fingers, let me pet it and the whole bit. One morning I came downstairs and it was laying dead on the carpet. I have no idea why it would jump out of my tank after two years of bliss. The tank was covered except for a very narrow opening across the back. It found that small opening.

Back