Blue velvet nudibranch

markymark

Reefing newb
So i was thinking of buying one, but my question is does anyone think if I cultivate my own flatworms and add them to my tank, do you think they will overwhelm the tank before my nudi can eat them up?? then i should just buy two ;)

I thought they ate any planaria I was gonna get these
Living Brown Planaria - Carolina Biological Supply Company

I could be wrong but im pretty sure they only eat the red flatworms. I had a MASSIVE red flatworm out break and managed to get a blue velvet to take care of the issue. It was amazing to watch it would stick out this tub thing from his head and just suck them up. I watched him eat many times when he would get on the glass. I never saw him interested in ANYTHING other than the red flatworms.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoL5QfQMD_k[/ame] <-- video of my nudibranch ^_^

Last edited:
Thanks! Sorry for the music in the background im pretty sure I was playing fallout 3 then decided to whip out the camera phone while he was on the glass beside me :p

Just so you know the nudibranch will leave random mucus trails around the tank. When they sleep they sleep in said mucus. They are very buoyant and can be blown around easily. I left off my powerheads the entire time I had him in the tank. When they are stressed/dying they will lay a ribbon of eggs. I have a special appreciation for them after my massive flat worm outbreak. Hopefully someone else on this board will chime in about they eating anything other than flatworms.

Now that was cool. I would think you would just need one and pass it around to everyone who has flat worms..you know kinda like they do with studs. LOL

Back