Blue zoo

OK, first things first. When you get something like that, you don't have time to wait for ANYTHING, period end of discussion. You chop it open and drop them in the tank with the lights out. Dripping a fish in that's been in transit for that long CAN AND WILL burn their gills, most of the time beyond repair. You raise the pH in that toxic environment it's a recipe for disaster. Blue Zoo damn well knows better than that. I used to transship and I'm about to start again, after 30 hours in the bag it's time for SERIOUS action.

OK, first things first. When you get something like that, you don't have time to wait for ANYTHING, period end of discussion. You chop it open and drop them in the tank with the lights out. Dripping a fish in that's been in transit for that long CAN AND WILL burn their gills, most of the time beyond repair. You raise the pH in that toxic environment it's a recipe for disaster. Blue Zoo damn well knows better than that. I used to transship and I'm about to start again, after 30 hours in the bag it's time for SERIOUS action.
+1

I should have done that but all my brains left me and resorted to what I knew...they were all suffering bad when I got them

now blue zoo isn't responding, freaking disaster

oh and now my tank is showing like 1ppm of nitrite, UGH WTH

I just turned the lights out, threw some prime in and walked upstairs, there is nothing I can do

I am really mad, I have never had a tank spike for no reason before but I am guessing 2 fish died already so that has to be it

Dont give up on it .you will have to try and not dwell on wot has happened and concentrate on getting water quality back

Ok I need emergency help...almost everything in the tank is dead!!! inverts and everything (there might be several snails and hermits still alive but they look awful

HOLY CRAP, it's a kill zone and I don't know what to do

do you think the nitrites killed everything??? they are back down to 0 right now and everything is zero

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 2-3ppm
ph 7.8
salinity 1.026
temp 78.9
copper 0

ok nevermind, my feather dusters, cup coral and such are all fine...only found the blenny dead, 2 brittle stars and two hermits but all ther hermits aren't moving and are half way out of their shells???

what is happening?

I did notice my salinity jumped .01 last night after I did a small WC

Sorry for the crazy posts...can you overdose Amquel? Its almost like there is no oxygen in the tank

I did a 18G WC and then stuff started to move again almost immediately but almost all my inverts were not moving but alive...also bought some gulf LR amd all the critters were out just sitting on the rocks

OK, NICE DEEP BREATHS
How old is the tank?
What did you add to the tank?
Deep sand bed?
How much live rock?
How many critters in the tank and what kind?

Tank is a month old
I had a reefcleaners crew in there for 4 days...added a small blenny, fire fish and cardinal which were all under an inch
I have 60lbs of lr that has been there since the beggining
2 inch sandbed
Only critters are random crabs/shrimp/feathet dusters

I added amquel yesterday, prob 2 or 3 times the dose and this morning most everything was dead or lethargic but some stuff is fine like my cup coral and random inverts

OK, you need to slow WAY down on additions to that tank, it's not nearly old enough yet. I have a rule of thumb, 6 weeks for a new tank no matter what the test kits say.A few hermit crabs are fine, but your tank is still cycling. You might not see it on the test kits, but I damn well guarantee you it's still percolating. Make sure you're running a skimmer 24/7/365 on that tank. Keep doing water changes to get that damn amquel out of there and don't use it again.

Dont have a skimmer, its a FOWLR tank but have about 2500 gph flow in it and good surface agitation

Inverts dont add to bioload but the fish Dying while I put them in there screwed everything up and that stupid amquel

I have done sw tanks for 2 years now and never lost a fish or had anything like this happen

You should have a skimmer on that tank. My rule is, if it's got salt in it, it's damn well gonna be skimmed. EVERYTHING adds to the bioload in an aquarium, fish, inverts, rock and coral.

Yes, you're technically right, except about the rock. Inverts and coral do add to the bioload, but its so negligeable that unless you have a system like Dennis has, you don't need to count coral or inverts, and even then, its equivalent to what, half of a small (clown goby sized) fish. The bacteria on the rock and in the sand does add, as well, but again, what they add is used up by corals and algae so it's a balanced cycle that need not be considered. As for bioload, fish are the only thing that really matters.

Regarding skimming, it is next to useless on a nano. The important thing about skimming is reaction time. The longer, the better. If you have a 9-12" tall Remora, there cannot possibly be enough "hang time", if you will, for the bubbles to pull very much organics out of the water. This is why you see the big tanks running big, wide and tall skimmers, in the 36"+ reaction chambers. You would have to ask @d2mini what skimmer he runs, but check out their website; they explain it a lot better. Basically, a small skimmer on a small tank is not a very cost effective way of nutrient export. Yes, they help, but they are highly inefficient and expensive for what little they actually do.

I am not trying to argue but not all tanks need skimmers and adding my inverts didnt do anything, got no spikes in anything as I test daily but as soon as the ammonia riddled fish went in then everything went south...amquel is kind of like prime, it detoxifies nitrites and such

I believe the amquel drastically reduced oxygen and killed some inverts, I have done 2 WC's and they are all moving around now

I've had skimmers from a Sanders Piccolo, their smallest at the time, up to one of their 2 metre tall x 200mm units on my 240. Y'all can do what you want, but if I have salt in a tank, it's getting a skimmer put on it. And this notion of nutrient export via skimmer drives me nuts and it's a short drive for me most days. It does that, but it's more for toxin removal, phenolic compounds top the list. I remember when the venturi skimmers were the newest, latest and greatest thing to come down the pike since sliced bread. There was a small but vocal minority that said ZOMG YER KILLING PHYTOPLANKTON YOUR REEF WILL CRASH!!! :rolleyes:

well all the fish died of course, tank was at 0 ammonia and nitrite and today it's back to .25 ammonia and .50 nitrite...I don't even know why it spiked as I used the shrimp method and both my ammonia/nitrite spiked and went to zero

as soon as the WC's were done everything came back to life almost instantly, snails started cleaning, hermits moving around and my pistol shrimp is snapping away...I WILL NEVER USE AMQUEL AGAIN, it almost destroyed the tank

I am getting my money back for the fish which is bittersweet but also filed a claim with FedEx

Back