Bluespot Jawfish or Pearly?

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Hi all,
I am trying to decide between a BS and a pearly jawfish.

I am on the fence...one of my semi local stores...3 hours away from me has one and I am seriously thinking of getting him.

The problem is...the more I read this thread the more the mortality rate of this fish scares me. Locally these fish are extremely expensive and to lose one very quickly would totally suck.

I am running a 33 gallon with a pair of Picasso's only at the moment. I was thinking of adding a Helfrichi and this jawfish and thats it. (maybe a fairy wrasse later on)

Are BS that much more frail than the pearly's?

My tank parameters as of today are:

temp 80
sal 1.025
ph 8.4
alk 9
calc 440
amon 0.1
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
Phos 0.1

Which one....bluespot? or go for the pearly?

Its not that Blue spots are that hard to keep,as it is to actually keep them in the tank.
Personally,I'd go with the Pearly.Mainly because they dont seem to be as jumpy and tend to stay in the tank better.
With Blue Spots,its not a matter of IF they'll jump,its a matter of WHEN.
:D

The blue spot is a fantastic looking fish, but they are notorious jumpers. If they are particularly expensive in your area, I'd stay away from buying it until you are CERTAIN your tank's top is COMPLETELY sealed tightly. They WILL find an impossibly tiny hole and jump out of it. JMO.

i use light diffuser. you can cut it into any shape you want.

i say go for the blue spot because they are very beautiful fish. that is as long as you have a nice lid. its not super small and could jump through a pea sized hole. and that baby fish are just so time consuming.

i use light diffuser. you can cut it into any shape you want.

i say go for the blue spot because they are very beautiful fish. that is as long as its not super small and could jump through a pea sized hole. and that baby fish are just so time consuming.

The same stuff you would put of fluorescent lights in a t bar ceiling?

yeah it works well for the fish i have now

but i watched my first diamond goby jump right through it to behind my tank not 5 min after i added him.

I was thinking about adding some birdnetting over the eggcrate just in case...especially where I was thinking my next fish was going to be a Helfrichi firefish...another jumper.

I have a glass cover over my tank, and my bluespot still managed to disappear after less than a month in the tank. They're cool fish but just not very good for an aquarium imo. I'd go with something less expensive.

also, I've not heard of anyone using bird netting... I have heard of people who use screen material... the non-aluminum kind. it comes in rolls at the hardware store.

yep! it was actually what I used to keep crickets in their critter keeper when I had lizards lol. i was sick of them getting loose in my room and finding them in my clothing *shudders*... it keeps the eels in too :D not that my eels try to escape but my buddy has one and uses tule and his eel gets deturred!

1/4x1/4" mesh is what you should be using. A BSJF will jump clean through eggcrate. Make sure you have ALL openings covered including you overflows. And no a canopy is not a tight enough fitting lid in case you are wondering...I found out the hardway.

It sucks knowing something is unhappy enough to just jump. Although they most likely have no clue they will die from it

Back