Bob's Ghetto Build!

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I've decided to start a new thread with a title that will reflect the direction I want to take with this build. When I started out in this hobby there were several people (not here) who did their best to convince me I had to buy the most expensive equipment money could buy, everytime, or I did not deserve to have a tank. Luckily I found this place, and many of you showed me there is alot of decent, economical equipment that can get you up and going. I went sumpless, with a HOB skimmer, Nova extreme lighting, and some Koralia powerheads, and I am very pleased with how the 46 turned out!

So I decided to go big and take somewhat the same approach. This time, I will be going with a sump, and costs are going to explode, but the same principle will apply. I want to find good, quality equipment that isn't going to make me feel violated when I get the bill!

So far, I've started out with a 180g miracles, dual overflow tank. This was a new tank, filled and leak checked, then emptied and never filled again. Retail here in Canada is 1600 dollars. After several rounds of negotiating, I picked it up for 400, with a new Mag 9.5 pump, which I'm not sure what I'm going to do with yet.

I followed up with a reeflo snapper return pump, under 200 bucks. Last night I just ordered my lighting, a Catalina Solar t5, 72" 8X80 watt with moonlights. These lights seem to be enjoyed by most who own them, they have workhorse ballasts, individual reflectors, and they are not made in China! After talking with Jim at Catalina, I was able to pick this up for 600 shipped! 640 watts of t5 for 600, nothing else comes close!

Skimmers have just arrived at my online supplier, they are Octopus Extreme 200's. Same as msx 200, 349.99 here in Canada.

Found a 60g tank with one hole drilled in the top left corner, local deal in the classifieds for 50 bucks, voila, a new sump!

Thats where I stand at this point, so far less than 1500 in, and I'm pretty much ready to add sand water and rock!

Lets hope it all falls into place and I don't wanting to jump off a bridge by the time its over!

Thats not a bad price for what you already got.And dont think I would call it ghetto building.More like building on a budget.

Looks like your off to a great start.

I just got the same skimmer in the mail the other day. I'm still a bit away from putting it in water but I say it looks like it's a fine investment.

good luck to you with everything.. You could always send th mag 9.5 over this way !! I WILL PAY FOR SHIPPING !!!!! LOL

Nice bob! I remember seeing the pics of the 180 when you got it. Have fun I love building tanks. Its so much fun to see everything come together. I even enjoy cycling tanks. I have fun looking for little micro crustaceans and stuff so I have total patience for the hobby. Of course that isn't how I felt when I built my first 36g. But things change. Anyways have fun! And congrats.

Well, I got my skimmer yesterday, an Octopus Extreme 200. It's a freak of nature compared to what I'm used to. I also finished the sump, but it turned out really messy, one because I kept moving the baffles around because I wasn't happy, and two, because apparantly my tank is 14 1/4" inside, not 14, so I ended up with a big gap to fill with silicone. Anyways, it looks uggo, but it will work just fine. Here's the latest pix....

OctoSkimmer008.jpg

OctoSkimmer019.jpg

sump001.jpg

sump009.jpg

I'm really torn about how deep to go with a sandbed, I've been told both that 6" is awesome in my fuge, then alot of people are telling me they are switching to bare bottom in their fuges. Which is better? I have 60lbs, which is apparantly enough to give me 6" in my fuge, but only leaves me 6" of water to pass through

Found another deal from a fellow reefer. Getting out of it and all he has left is his 100lbs rock, sand, some snails and cheato, and a pair of Koralia 4 powerheads. Getting it all tomorrow for 380.

That is pretty close to what I have into my 180 bob basically everything was used or discounted quite a bit.

shhhhhh! Speaking of livestock, I have no idea what I want to put in this baby, but there is going to be one big ass fish in there somewhere!

Yeah Id like one big boy myself. Mostly small fish in mine though. Im hung up on more rarely kept stuff like Helfrichi's Picasso Percs, Bluespot Jawfish etc.

Ok guys, I'm impressed, turned out to be 90lbs, but WTF. I got 60lbs of sand, some cheato, all this stuff is crawling with life. Nice looking rock, but little coraline. Newer tank, and the guy lost his job, so he had to get out. I feel bad, he was nice. Also got 2 Koralias 4's, they are brand new looking, said he bought them a month ago.

rock005.jpg

rock006.jpg

rock007.jpg

rock008.jpg

rock009.jpg

rock010.jpg

rock011.jpg

Back