Bonjour! Warm Hello from the french world.

Merci ! I was just thinking of unsubscribing after seing the TapWater page... I am not much into Technocracy and prefer more biological approaches (which also involves chemistry of course). Have not any incidence fresh or salty using Montreal water for the past 40 years. But is it not what aquariophilia is all about finding solutions and (god forgive me) impose DOGMAS???

I Hope the little sharky moderator has no intention of occupying Montreal.... Just remember the US has known it's first and only (besides Vietnam) military defeat right here. Back in the 17th century....

Oh Yes!! My tank... Sacrebleu j'allais oublier. Bon Hum well ... An old 45 gallon dealer tank on which I sealed the sump opening in the bottom. Started it 5 years ago as a rocketfish (softwater) breeding tank... And became the first RocketFish breeder in Canada... All of which went to the dealer of course.. Also was the first Black Tail Piranha breeder in Canada (Pigocentrus Piraya, but they have been reclassified since). Converted 2 years ago to marine integrating my own Underegravel Biological Filtration Design.

Also a 55 Gallon with 20 gallon external biological filter etc... Almost started and 2 X 33's and a 75 under construction...

Thanks ChiChiMon79 (whatever that means..) for the wellcome... But I don't know if I'll be hanging around... As I stated : I Hate Technocrats!! (really, I do, can't help it... must be my genes or something...)

Hmmm, I think perhaps you have taken something the wrong way? If what you are doing is working for you, that is awesome! Nothing would be gained if everyone did things the same way and never tried new things! There are several members who use tap as their main water source, and a lot of times that works fine. I, personally, would rather purify than run into problems unforeseen. Plus, I have no idea what my city puts into the water. It's all personal preference.

By the way, it's ChichiMOM, and it's because I have two chihuahuas. :Cheers:

You mean like Laptops?? Lapdogs rather... You seem to be a kind and understanding person and it's all in your honour... Let's just say I have nothing to prove and like exploring new and challenging experiences... I'm an old man you know... So if it worked yesteryear I don't care what the new kids on the block think. (Very old, snif).... Over the past 40 years I have bred angels, gouramis, discus, pirahnas, rocketfish, banded coral shrimp and kept so many species I forgot to keep track... Living Overseas and all had me kiss Bye Bye to all this But I came back a few years ago and am starting anew. So this is my general background.

Oops think I forgot to post the vanished text. So ChiChiMom79 is a Chihuahua freak... Humm then you must know the old joke about the two Mexican Chihuahuas with their sombreros on : One looks at the sky and sees a Flying saucer and says to the other having a siesta with the sombrero over his head.. - Hey Did Ya see that??? and the other raising an eyebrow saying : -I don't see nuthin.. (It kind a reminds me how stupid the XFiles were) But to get back to the topic you seem to be a kind and understanding person. It's all in your honour!!! And I thank You (ZZTop).

I'm a little lost here also waddi....

Was just introducing myself BEEGUYLES. Seriously I have had tremendous success both in fresh and saltwater tanks using simple, cost-effective, DIY means. What I am saying is basic knowledge in various fields gives me more manageable systems without having to become a Test Tube maniac. The Biotope speaks to you in a way : the presence or absence of some type of dynoflagellates (green blue red black algae), for example, will inform you (in my opinion) of the level of amonia, sulfuric acid, indol, scatol and all other toxic stuff in your gravel bed, much better than a handfull of test kits. On a different scale; if you know that for example, ammonia is a HEAVY GAS and that it will naturally stick to the ground and not evaporate like other gases. Than you will understand the importance of having an undergravel system pulling this ammonia rich layer to the surface. If the exhaust tube happens to be a perforated one, the better: Ammonia has a tendency to STICK to air bubbles so you not only aerate (if you have an air stone in the return flow tube) but get rid of the excess amonia at the same type... Thus creating a safer environment for Polychaetes worms who, by the way, contribute greaty in reducing detritus levels in the gravel bed. Pursuing the matter further, the exhaust tube at the surface creates an even flow that is non laminar (Great for Blue Xenias). Also since the output is level with the surface it acts as a surface skimmer and keeps the surface clean. Also this return of the water all across the tank puts a circular flow in motion, much like a Kreissel in fact and there are as you imagine several other benefits linked to it. I hope things are clearer for you now and help you comprehend my approach a little better.

May I add in the same line of thought. So let's say you start this new system (with tap water), the first thing you will have is a carpet of red algae or green/red (it's the same dynoflagellate but changes colour depending on level of pollution). Well that is good for me since I want to start a zooplankton colony at the same time, and since copepods thrive on it why not grow a large colony!!! You need just a few starter rocks for that. In a matter of weeks you will literaly witness the copepods eating their way through the mess. And they do an amazing job of clearing it!!! Further, once the tank is seasoned the copepods will continue thriving. Which is fantastic if you intend to keep Mandarin fish who survive mostly on them. You will never have to worry about your Mandarin running out of top quality fresh live food. Several fish species will pick at dynoflagellates which are rich in B12 vitamins espacially if red... Depends if you are a Septic or AntiSeptic oriented aquarist. In other words; sterile tanks are great for large displays maybe but fortunately NOT the only alternative. So Skimmers and all are useless here. (heaters also)

Back