Bonjour! Warm Hello from the french world.

Why Thank You my good man. It's a pleasure and honour to stand amongst literate enthusiasts. Even though I do not understand most of their venerable science, I learn something new everyday and that is what keeps me going in life. A nice day to you Sir.

Lucky me!!! A sympathetic soul!!! It all depends on your degree of knowledge I suppose and understanding of what you do and what it implies. Of course there allways will be a niche for public aquaria and sterile immaculate systems, it's in the nature of things so to speak. However I do not possess this macho attitude of comparing who has the most money or the biggest skimmer or the most expensive lighting systems (for one, heat is the main problem with HO and all lighting). I would define myself as a pragmatic aquarist : my only concern being the quality of life I can offer to my specimens. Alternative routes are many and as confusing as the High Tech approach, I do not wish to elaborate on comparisons as I am not into (if you'll excuse the french canadian expression) pissing contests.
I do however believe, my own experience backing the claim, that this Biological Approach will offer a fascinating experience and tangible results as far as Soft Corals, Fish, ZOAS and other easier animals are concerned. On the other hand it offers an exclusive alternative for the maintenance of extremely difficult specimens that simply can not be kept in the typical Modern American Reef Tank!!
Let me explain briefly the philosophy behind it with one example: The Sea Apple (red Philippines or/and Tricolor Australia). These beauties are CONTINUOUS Phytoplankton feeders EXCLUSIVELY and not any type. They feed on plankton that is between 40 and 60 Mu's of size otherwise they will starve after a period varying between 6 to 20 months... Imagine the effect in a typical reef tank considering the Sea Apples are highly Toxic... So when I see a Tricolor Sea Apple in a typical reef tank I am filled with laughter (It's better than weeping). Ideally you could set a small 25 gallon tank with an improved undergravel filter plugged to an external canister filter with the return water flow trough a perforated tube at surface level. The gentle circular motion Back to Front to Bottom would have the Micro Plankton in a motion favourable to the feeding activity. Anyway it's easy to know if your apple is feeding since it will bring it's tentacles to it's mouth every minute or so. The main problem here being not aquarium technology .. but rather the appropriate grinding size for the appropriate Phytoplankton. Get my point Smitty ?

Nobody said your way of thinking was wrong. I agree with you actually but if you're going to address me then spell my name right please and no need for the caps lock that makes me believe you are pointing out that you purposely mispelled it, which then would just be rude. :)

It was all spontaneous ignorance on my part... So I guess i'll just abstain from adressing you in a personnal manner. No offense meant, mind you, it simply just did not occur to me that there could be some sort of hidden semantic meaning to a pseudo that is just a reference that allows communication. The clash of cultures is sometimes painfull, but at least instructive. Thank you for pointing it out.

Hi Moderator. You're making it hard on me. 1) I'm old and not very familiar with the so-called emoticon world. 2) I suffer Glaucoma and I'm never really certain if they're smiling, weeping or angry... So it makes it difficult to grasp the meaning of the message. Nevertheless thanks for saying something!!!

hello and welcome to the site...English is a very difficult language even for those of us who have grown up with it. I wish you well in you endeavors with the hobby. I to also think there are many ways to keep marine tanks and that it is more a matter of preference to how you want to keep your little slice of the ocean. I take everyday as a new day to learn something.

Hello and welcome to the site!

Bonsoir ErinCahir,
I see you are in Nanos, quite fascinating. A universe I must explore sometime. Thank You for the greeting... If I can be of any assistance in the Biological approach of the hobby (being in the Low Tech department) just ring the old man.

Bonsoir ErinCahir,
I see you are in Nanos, quite fascinating. A universe I must explore sometime. Thank You for the greeting... If I can be of any assistance in the Biological approach of the hobby (being in the Low Tech department) just ring the old man.

I run my tank on water changes only. Low tech is familiar territory to me. Thanks, though.

Back