Book Review: Poseidon's Steed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Picasso, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Picasso

Picasso Seahorse Whisperer

Book Review: Poseidon's Steed: The Story of Seahorses, From Myth to Reality:

My Dad got me this great book for my birthday: Poseidon's Steed: The Story Of Seahorses From Myth To Reality by Helen Scales, PH.D. Here's an excerpt from page one:

"Peer at a seahorse, briefly hold one up to the light, and you will see a most unlikely creature, something that you would hardly believe was real... Should we presume these odd-looking creatures were designed by a mischievous god who had some time on her hands? Rummaging through a box labeled "spare parts" she finds a horse's head and, feeling a desire for experimentation, places it on top of the pouched torso of a kangaroo. This playful god adds a pair of swiveling chameleon eyes and the prehensile tail of a tree-dwelling monkey for embellishment- then she stands back to admire her work. Not bad, but how about a suit of magical color-changing armor, a perfect fit, and a crown borrowed from a fairy princess, shaped as intricately and uniquely as human fingerprint? Shrink it all down to the size of a chess piece and the new creature is complete."

In this book, Dr. Scales explores the world of the seahorse from a marine biologists point-of-view. She looks at the mystique of these beautiful creatures and explores the fascination humans have held for them throughout history. It is a lovely little book that reminds us what an important creature the seahorse is both as a historical icon and as a member of the oceans of our world. This book shed's light on the importance of our important role as stewards of the seahorse. I highly recommend this book.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Poseidons-Steed-Story-Seahorses-Reality/dp/159240474X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256654118&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Poseidon's Steed: The Story of Seahorses, from Myth to Reality (9781592404742): Ph.D., Helen Scales: Books[/ame]

Catherine

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
    Picasso, Oct 27, 2009
    yote likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Picasso

daugherty part time reefer

thanks for the review that sounds like a great book

daugherty, Oct 27, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Picasso

dcantucson

Catherine, Do you think they'll make it into a movie? I get sleepy when I read. :lol: :mrgreen:

dcantucson, Oct 27, 2009
  4. Picasso

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Now I'll have to order that book.

yote, Oct 27, 2009
  5. Picasso

physicsgeek

Bump.

Christmas Ideas?

C

physicsgeek, Nov 9, 2010
    1. Advertisements